Does anyone keep Gambusia?

Sam Newman

I think some1 is getting Guppys and Hippys mixd up. I don't think Guppys would sell your TV to buy P. I was hoping to catch the Gambusia to make fry to feed my fish. I ended up going eeling tonight as my mate died yesterday and smoked eel would be appreciated. Caught a dozen eels and what I think must be a Rudd? 3_10.jpg

Whyle out trapping guppies, I caught a few Gambusia. Not sure what I'm supposed to do with them as they were a by catch. I was targetting Guppies. Am I supposed to put them back? Am I supposed to kill them? and if I kill them, What am I supposed to do with them once they are dead? If I accadently catch Gambusia, Am I allowed to feed them to an Oscar? What a dillema!!!

should answer all your questions :wink:

from there

Freshwater Fisheries Regulation 1984

Section 64 (a). No unauthorised catching or keeping of certain fish (amended).

No person shall, except with the prior consent in writing of the acclimatisation society for the district within which it is proposed to catch or keep the fish and except in compliance with such conditions as the society may lay down:

(a) Obtain or keep in captivity any live sports fish or any mosquito fish (Gambusia affinis) or catfish or brown bullhead (Ictalaurus nebulosus).

Conservation Act 1987

26zm. Transfer or release of aquatic life.

(1) No person shall transfer live aquatic life or release live aquatic life into any freshwater except in accordance with this section.

(2) The prior approval of the Minister of Fisheries shall be required for the following: (a) The movement of live aquatic life between sites in which it already exists. (b) The movement of live aquatic life between the islands of New Zealand.

(3) The prior approval of the Minister of Conservation is required for the following: (a) The transfer of live aquatic life to or the release of live aquatic life in a new location where the species does not already exist (including the transfer of a new species to or the release of a new species in an existing or a new fish farm). (b) The transfer of a species of live aquatic life to any land or water managed or administered under this act or any other act specified in the First Schedule of this act.

Instead of doing this one thread at a time, here are all the introduced fish that live in NZ streams that you CANNOT possess, breed, transport, release, sell, breed etc etc etc:

brown trout

rainbow trout

sockeye salmon

Chinook salmon

Atlantic salmon

brook char

mackinaw

gambusia

perch

koi carp

silver carp

orfe

rudd

tench

I may have missed some...

Yes. DOC permits and approval from the Ministry of Fisheries to farm them. Fishing for Sport fish or Coarse fish requires a licence from Fish and Game. Some Pest fish are allowed to be kept, bought and sold without licences or approval from the Government. Goldfish (Carassius) for example. Special permittion can also be given to keep exotic banned species.

• 2 weeks later...

I have aquired quite a liking for the taste of Gambusia over the last couple of months. i found my trap wasn't really suitable for catching vast quantitys, so I hacked off the mozzie netting from my tent to make a giant net. I am going to try to catch heapsa the little fulla's. Mixing them with an egg and pepper is pretty tastey. anyome got any other suggestions on how to cook em? Im presuming frying is an allowed way to kill them as I don't have a small enouf club to dong them all on the head. There are hundereds of them. :dunno: