• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 years later...
he's suppose to be in quarantine but anyway someone had a visitor today lol

ks.jpg

kss.jpg

(white one 1.5years, and a one year old, amazing what good food and sunlight do.)

ah skinks ... turns out the white is a female .. and one in pic above on the right is a male. good to finally know.

the male is one from the only other skinks i had breed years ago and the only one I kept.

anyway 3 years on and 2 young were finally born yesterday, also one slug and one under developed ... maybe more to come but who knows. stoked with two .. may get 3 or 4 next year :bggrn:

considering last year she spat out all slugs, it's all good.

really undeveloped .. looks like an egg almost. will get a pic after breakfast.

see (right the undeveloped embryo = slug, and left the almost fully developed one came out in it's amniotic sack and all but no life in it)

IMG_8235.jpg

first came a live one, that has a cut/ possibly got attacked, then came the under size one, then a live one, then the slug. slug almost looks like two embryos joined together. female still fat and not hungry so who knows what's going on in there.

i have never thought about keeping reptiles but these look awsome

they're almost like snakes, with legs, but they can't kill you :lol: . and you can get them in nz. maybe not Auckland though ;) good excuse to move haha

easy care reptiles too. one of my favourites. the live births are always interesting aswel.

Thanks ... one of the only pics I got in the end + a couple of vids, but yeah the female skink really didn't like being disturbed or looked at with a camera lens. Me disturbing her and or the up and down weather we have been experiencing may have mucked things up, then again the infertile slugs and prem suggests something else wasn't right. Thing that bugs me is the skink I had breed here a few years back was inside in a little glass tank... 13 perfect babies. Put whitey outside over a year ago ... seemed in good shape but hmmm. Maybe get a better result next year.

Ended up with 3 still born (large ones too :( ) 1 prem, about 3 slugs and still have the 3 live rascals.

One of the young skinks trying to get a cricket

3 rascals and mother

Until next year comrades, happy herping, who am I kidding I be back on here 100 times a day :oops:

• 3 weeks later...
Awesome thread here Insect Direct. Love the blueys but don't keep any anymore, got a few different sorts happening over here in Australia, albinos, blacks, stripes. Cheers.

Cheers. We are lucky to have them here really, not the variety like over there though eh drool. I often lose interest (edit preditctive txt :)) with reptiles then the buggers breed and it stirs things up again and so it goes on haha

Couple of pics from today ...

First shed for two of the young.. ..

shed.jpg

Compare to unshed down the bottom ..

skin.jpg

Some incredible photos here! Not sure if these count as they're not a reptile but I've managed to breed 4 albino axolotls and get them past the 6 month mark. Taken me quite a few years but very pleased with my little group. They came from a brown/white pairing, they'd both come from white/gold parents who had also come from a white/gold pairing that produced 4 albino offspring, all of those were males but I'm hoping for a few females now and have kept their only sibling whose white. Genetics are so fascinating, and frustrating!

Some incredible photos here! Not sure if these count as they're not a reptile but I've managed to breed 4 albino axolotls and get them past the 6 month mark. Taken me quite a few years but very pleased with my little group. They came from a brown/white pairing, they'd both come from white/gold parents who had also come from a white/gold pairing that produced 4 albino offspring, all of those were males but I'm hoping for a few females now and have kept their only sibling whose white. Genetics are so fascinating, and frustrating!

That is awesome news. A proper albino strain too :P . Good things take time. :hail: