Tank Advice for a Newbie, please :)

pixiedust

Hi everyone,

First of all, this is such a great forum - I've been lurking around a couple of days just reading up on everything. So much to learn! (And so many gorgeous tanks to aspire to!)

I've been wanting to start up a small tank, probably about 20-30L. I like the look of the all-in-one tanks. They seem way easier for a beginner, even though I can definitely see how putting together your own tank would be better in the long run.

I've been looking at some of the Aqua One models - specifically AR126, CR320 and AR380, and would like to know if anyone's had any noise issues with the internal filters on these. The tank will be in my bedroom, and I'd prefer for it to be as quiet as possible. Waterfalls or dripping noises could be a bit of dealbreaker :o

Thanks in advance for any insights anyone may have.

I would go for the largest tank you can fit/afford. 20- 30 l is pretty small. It would limit your options with the type /number of fish you could keep. It's is easier to keep a larger tank in balance.

Have you decided which type of fish you would like to keep?

Also with the all in ones I found the small access a bit of a pain. I like to muck around in my tanks with plants etc - catching fish was harder too.

Most of my tanks now have glass lids that are easy to remove .

I've got an AR126 and it's a great tank for a fish only or a little plant tank. I have ambulia growing in one corner but it needs trimming weekly.

In a bedroom you'd hear it but it's at the volume that I think you'd get used to it. Be warned - 5 guppies becomes 50 guppies in one of these tanks very quickly.

If i had the choice I'd go for the 380 for the extra 50% volume for not much more size.

Thanks for the welcome! :bounce:

Hmm... I'll probably try to stay away from the AR126/AR380 then. I'm paranoid about accidentally wetting the bed or something as well!

Anyone know how noisy the CR320 is? That one has an undergravel filter, which people seem to be rather divided on. Or the Jebo all in ones? A couple have just popped up on TradeMe.

I'd probably be looking to get either a bristlenose or siamese fighter to start with. I'd also love to get some neon tetras, but only if I end up getting a larger tank/don't end up with a siamese fighter.

Can anyone recommend a quiet filter in the 20-30L range? I'll start looking into the plain glass tank option.

I have an AR-380 with a couple of Scarlet Darios and a few Pygmy Corys in it, I would go as far as saying that it is almost silent, aslong as the water is full to the top, I haven't had an issue at all with it and wouldn't hesistate in recommending it as a small tank (although I agree the bigger the tank the better, especially if you are new to fish keeping).

If you make sure the Aquaone tanks are kept full you can't hear the waterfall trickle.

And if the filter/airpump is slightly noisy, you do get used to it and it kind of acts as white noise and drowns out other noises. When I stay at my bfs, his filters are noisy but I think they cover up his snoring cos I don't wake up. Whereas at my house, with my quiet room, I usually end up with earplugs in :evil:

If you make sure the Aquaone tanks are kept full you can't hear the waterfall trickle.

And if the filter/airpump is slightly noisy, you do get used to it and it kind of acts as white noise and drowns out other noises. When I stay at my bfs, his filters are noisy but I think they cover up his snoring cos I don't wake up. Whereas at my house, with my quiet room, I usually end up with earplugs in :evil:

Whack him in his sleep. LOL HA HA HA

Welcome to the forum Pixiedust.

Hope you enjoy it here :wink:

Thanks for the tips, everyone - I decided to go with the AR380 after all that indecisiveness. Looking forward to setting it all up!

I read somewhere that you should keep the tank on a polystyrene sheet to evenly distribute the weight of the water. Or does that just apply to the plain glass tanks? Read some horror stories about cracked tanks :o