Fluval pressurized co2 kit

evil_elmo

I think this kit is really intended for small (nano) planted tanks of 20L or less. In fact it's probably only approaching economic for tanks 10L or less. If 88g means there's 88g of gas per cylinder then a 5-6.8kg setup is far more economic. 6800g / 88g = 77.27 refills. 1 refill on a 6.8kg bottle costs about $30 vs $35.60 for an 88g cylinder - approx 91.7 x the price...

So, only good for a nano tank where one of these 88g cylinders will last a long time.

Based off the usage from my planted tank of approx 6.8kg gas per 12 months for 1200L

6800 / 1200 / 365 = 15.52mg / L / Day

so for a 100L tank

100L * 15.52mg / L = 1.552g / day

88g / 1.552 = 56.68 days

Given approx 365 days per year 365 / 56.68 = 6.43 refils per year = $35.60 * 6.43 = approx $230 per year for CO2 refills (ouch)!!!

Results may vary depending on the actual usage of CO2 for the given tank but this gives you a rough guide.

I hope my maths is right...

Of course, for a 10L tank this is only $23 per year on average and nice and small compared to a big CO2 setup...

I have mine on a 130l for the moment. I got sick of DIY co2, and had $100 of animates vouchers to use up, and nothing I wanted to buy from animates. I will eventually switch it to my 37l and go for a pro c02 for the next tank I upgrade too. Saving for a 6fter as we speak. I installed it after lunch today, and I have lovely pearls on all my plants at the moment, at around 1 bubble every 2 seconds. The diffuser is a bit rubbish, but I have a decent one around here somewhere that I will probably swap out later.

That's good - my maths was about right.

One thing I forgot to mention in my last post was I turned off the CO2 at night so it was on for exactly 12 hours a day. Based off that usage and yours, you would get approx 60 days if turned off at night. Leaving the CO2 on 24/7 will double the already high cost of running this system...

Hmm Half used since the 29th. not a good sign at all. Have kicked it back to 1 bubble every 2 seconds, Might have to turn it off at nights. If it uses 88g in 2 weeks, its not going to be good value. if the sodastream bottle fits it will be outstanding value.

• 1 year later...

Ive used the cheap chinese one, which can be imported. The bottles were kind of a pain and I ended up upgrading to a proper CO2 setup after about 6 months - the 3 bottles lasted me about that much on a 90L tank. Turning it off at night was what really annoyed me because its difficult to get the bubble count just right, on the chinese one anyway

sodastream set up is good for my 22L lasts 3-4 months

Sodastream bottle from farmers $35.... refills $6 from gas shop

Sodastream adaptor http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=924 $44 (about a week to get here)

Glass diffuser $12, bubble counter $8, non return valve $8, Hosing $5 and Regulator with needle valve & solinoid $115 from Valray (trademe)

Saves the expensive refills of the little bottles