My new fishroom in a shipping container.

ryanjury

Ok so its been a while since I moved and a few people have been asking me how this has been going so thought it was about time to put up some pics.. It is still a mess and very much a work in progress, also bear in mind I am one of these people that does things on the cheap so my tanks are all mixed and matched and nothing is perfect but it works :) I think there are 35 tanks in there and still a few more to come..

I scored a rusty old insulated shipping container quite cheap when I moved to Auckland it looks quite skungy on the outside as you can see..

DSC068091024x768.jpg

This is a pic of the door showing how thick it is with insulation..

DSC068101024x768.jpg

The floor is all aluminium so it doesn't matter if it gets wet.

DSC068321024x768.jpg

View down RHS of container every tank down here bar the 10mm 5fter is plumbed in for automatic overflow based water changes - yeah it looks ugly but it saves ALOT of time and is better for the fish changing 10% automatically quite often rather than 25-30 once a week.

DSC068161024x768.jpg

View down the LHS most of these tanks are bigger (2 big tanks on the stand are around 540L 5fters) so happy to do manual water changes on these.

DSC068251024x768.jpg

A few pics of some of the fish bear in mind these tanks are heavily overstocked more setup for keeping the fish alive rather than getting them to breed and thrive, as I get more big tanks online they will be thinned back out again.

dems/yellows/ikola/peacocks.

DSC068261024x768.jpg

DSC068331024x768.jpg

5fter mixed

DSC068241024x768.jpg

My latest mission :)

DSC068221024x768.jpg

DSC068411024x768.jpg

DSC068441024x768.jpg

So far heating is via the 2 double fluoros and the 70LPM airpump only 2 tanks have heaters in them (because I haven't bothered to take them out yet) and they don't come on. At the moment the room is too hot with the top tanks getting close to 30C so I will have to turn the flouoros off more during the day to try and bring the temp down.

Anyway that is all the pics I took will get some more that show more of the tanks and stuff later if people are interested :)

Yeah there is alot of room so it worked out well, I was concerned that it might not be big enough but there is still plenty of room to walk down the middle with tanks on either side.

The room is so well insulated that once it is upto temp it doesn't take much to keep it there, I also have a dehumidifier running which adds a bit of heat to the room and helps soak up any spills.

awesome stuff ryan :) i could have spend countless hours in there haha :bow:

and i can vouch for how hot that room gets, it was like being back in africa again soo nice and hot :lol:

also i still have that glass for you if your wanting to come collect it or i can drop it off too you at some point.

p.s your still not wanting too sell your giraffes? :wink: :lol: :lol:

lol you are welcome anytime mate was good to have your help the other night :)

Will send you a PM about the glass, unsure when I will be out your way next.

Giraffes are in a breeding tank at the moment so while they aren't for sale hopefully some of their babies will be in the future..

having that kind of makes moving that far worth it

Yeah I had to setup something semi descent I was sick of mucking around and managed to source a container cheap enough :) It is so much easier than insulating a garage and is far better insulated than I could do myself without alot more cost.

danval I will try for some pics of the apistos they aren't that photogenic and are in the 2fts that are end on and filled with plants, many of my tanks are scratched and have water stains on the front so that makes it even harder to take pics but sometimes I get a good one. Maybe that is an excuse for you to come up and visit and see them? Not that I have anything more than you..

• 5 months later...