What to do next year?

Danni

Hi

Well, this is unusual, but I don't know who to ask so....

(sorry some of it sounds self-centred and boastful)

OK, so I am in Year 12 this year and I wanted to go to university next year but due to the number of people going to University they won't take discretionary entrants (They won't even wait until my exam results come out - I am declined). I did get into the Halls of Residence though, which was weird. I am good at Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Physics and want to become a research Scientist. I have a scholarship to St Cuthberts College, great exam results etc etc. Another thing is that I believe St Cuths may have written a bad recommendation for me as they did not want me to leave as it looks "bad for the school" (but thats another story...)

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do next year other than playing Solitaire in class all year from boredom (the teachers don't even care anymore as I still get E's)???

I just thought I would ask as I REALLY don't want to go back to school but don't want to waste a year either....

Thanks LOTS.

Danni

Thats an OK idea.

It's a good idea. My friend did that in her last year of high school, by the time she got to uni she was straight into second year as she'd done most first year papers while still at high school. Will look good on the CV too as it will show you can handle large workloads.

This may be a bit of an unusual answer but have you thought of getting a job... even for a year

My daughter's entry into teacher training college was damaged in the post and wasnt returned until entries had closed so thats what she did

Helped her mature and find out that the world dosnt owe her a thing and she was able to save as well as find out what the real world is like.

+1 Barrie

espec if that job is goal related...like lab tech or cleaner even in the science block

I did that and it helped me out...I think...lol

give it some thought and if you work hard and save hard then you have a $$buffer for when you do go...might even give you an in for part time while you study to help out and you could still pick up a paper here and there as well to give you that academic head start

nav

Thats what I plan on doing. Take 2012 off as a gap year after I finish year 13 in 2011. Gives me work experience and money to buy myself a car etc

Well done Josh

Makes it a bit easier on your parents as well

Helps you understand what working is like as well and I belive, helps you in achieving your goals in a more planed way

I would recommend doing 7th form, for both myself and many friends and other people I have talked with it is the best year. But that could be very dependent on which school you go to and who you share your year with. I have applied for several courses at Auckland this year - all pending (only choosing one) - and hopefully I will be able to get a good part time job at the dive centre, although I already work at mighty McD's :lol:

Taking a gap year can be a good decision for some, but I have been told that for others it becomes difficult to find the energy to return to study after taking the break, and they feel more inclined to continue working.

Thanks everyone! I just thought to ring up the University and managed to get my application reinstated by explaining my situation, so I have another chance also!! (They will let me know in January when results come out)

If I don't get in, I will have to think about it, but it is great to hear different views/takes on what I should do!

I would recommend doing 7th form, for both myself and many friends and other people I have talked with it is the best year. But that could be very dependent on which school you go to and who you share your year with. I have applied for several courses at Auckland this year - all pending (only choosing one) - and hopefully I will be able to get a good part time job at the dive centre, although I already work at mighty McD's :lol:

Taking a gap year can be a good decision for some, but I have been told that for others it becomes difficult to find the energy to return to study after taking the break, and they feel more inclined to continue working.

I don't really mind missing the social side of 7th Form to be honest if that's what you mean...And yes, I do plan on getting a part-time job when I get to Uni.

Do you know if it matters what degree you apply for?

I assumed you pick Bachelor of science which normally isn't too hard to get into.

You could try apply for another degree like bachelor of arts (not fine arts unless you want to) and

do some papers related to science and then cross credit it back BSC the next year when you get in.

But don't take my word for it, check it up with the university, they have advisors who would be happy to help you out.

Otherwise just go through yr 13, I did and it was the best year of my high school life :bounce:

Thanks everyone! I just thought to ring up the University and managed to get my application reinstated by explaining my situation, so I have another chance also!! (They will let me know in January when results come out)

If I don't get in, I will have to think about it, but it is great to hear different views/takes on what I should do!

I don't really mind missing the social side of 7th Form to be honest if that's what you mean...And yes, I do plan on getting a part-time job when I get to Uni.

Social side is great, but there is also opportunity for cool relationships with teachers, there is a mutual respect that you have achieved maturity, which helps cos the teachers tend to be a lot more relaxed/work can sometimes be more enjoyable. Everyone is out to ensure that 7th form is your best year.

Otherwise just go through yr 13, I did and it was the best year of my high school life :bounce:

amen.

Do you know if it matters what degree you apply for?

I assumed you pick Bachelor of science which normally isn't too hard to get into.

You could try apply for another degree like bachelor of arts (not fine arts unless you want to) and

do some papers related to science and then cross credit it back BSC the next year when you get in.

But don't take my word for it, check it up with the university, they have advisors who would be happy to help you out.

Yes, I want to do BSc. I thought it was hard to get into? I could be wrong though...

Hmm, I'm OK a History as well, but I don't think I would bother doing another Bachelor as I probably wouldn't do that well and it would be a waste of some money :)

There are going to be times at uni, and later in life, where you just have to slog through the boring stuff and prove you can still do your job. Stick with 7th form, keep up the practise of studying, get year 13 ncea to put in your CV (or cambridge at St Cuths?) and then take the Bsc head on in the same year as your peers.

It'd be awesome if you do get into AKL this year but don't leave school if you don't.

If it was me, knowing what I know now, and I *really* didn't want to go back to school for more reasons than just its boring (ie. was not happy there) I think I would look for a job in a science type role, or an unrelated role (ie. office) in a company in the science industry.

If you can make a few $$ and save it now before you get your degree and get out with a degree and no debt (or no debt to parents) then that will really set you up well. That way you will be in a better position to make your own decisions about where you want to study and what as your parents will be contributing less. The other advantage to this is that if you set up a good relationship with a company then they may well take you back each uni holidays, and support you through your degree.

If you do decide that you want to go to a university further away than AK your parents are more likely to agree if you are a year older, and are paying more your own way. I don't really think there is much (if any) advantage to finishing uni being a year younger, unless you were planning on a very long course (ie.PhD, or medicine).

There is so much more to university than just the academics. I also think you should get out of AK to go to university, but then I am biased cos I did. Definitely some of the best years of my life, and met some amazing friends. The AK school friends I had who stayed at home and went to uni just didn't have the same experience as the ones who went away.

But that is a totally different topic :)

Bsc need 150 points, Credits; Achieved = 2 points, Merit = 3 points and Excellence = 4 points. If you're grades are high enough (And I would say surpass), it should be fine. Although University would prefer it if you have done Level 3.

A friend of mine who was a year behind got into Biomed instead of 7th form, she was insanely intelligent and hardworking.

Do 7th form, it's good. I was initially considering moving away from school at 7th form, but decided otherwise. I don't regret it, I was never good at school per say, but it was a very enjoyable experience. Teachers treat you on par, ever the grumpiest Head of Department.

Have you done Level 3 papers?

If you can make a few $$ and save it now before you get your degree and get out with a degree and no debt (or no debt to parents) then that will really set you up well. That way you will be in a better position to make your own decisions about where you want to study and what as your parents will be contributing less.

If you really want to min-max, save up the money required. Keep term depositing it until you've finished university, afaik there's no interest nor set up fees for student loans. :) Just don't spend it all on booze. Once you start uni..what else would you spend your money on?!

OR you could do 7th form, and if you are intelligent, get some decent scholarships and work part time, that way you still get some money before heading into Uni.

They are bumping up the requirement grades, so the minimum is not always accepted as it used to be, and they generally prefer taking students with another year under their belts (unless the 6th former is super smart), this applies especially to Bsc's because the content of the courses in 7th form is different to 6th form, so theoretically you would go in handicapped not knowing what others know.

I do the cambridge pathway which IMO is better than NCEA (but I'm biased) because its easier to understand. In 6th form alone I managed to get 200 UCAS points, however for this year, the points available are double what they were last year. So judging by acheiving the same grades as last year, this year I am aiming for 320 points. You can see that if a Uni acceptance officer looked at my 6th form level and compared it to 7th form, he would definately prefer to take the older student which more points.

I am not going away for Uni either, Auckland is the Uni that best suits me, so I will stay at home for a while - keeps the cost down that's for sure.

You could:

-Gap year

-Drop out and get a job

-Stay at school and select subjects that you may be interested in but aren't too challenging mentally - Food tech, woodwork, -classics, history, PED etc etc...

-All of the above (Get a job overseas and do school work via correspondence schooling.

I don't think someone getting straight E's has to worry too much about where life will lead them...