We have met the enemy and here's his photo.

preacher

Whitebait tend to be active during the day, perhaps to avoid being eaten by larger native fish, who are nocturnal?

Of course this means daytime-active trout hammer them, they didn't evolve to expect that.

It is a difficult one with trout. As far as I am concerned they are an exotic, they have had profound effects on the behaviour and distribution of native fish. HOWEVER without the huge number of anglers beating the drum for cleaning up our waterways, the rivers and streams would be in a far worse condition than they are. Fish & Game do some amazing work at resource consent hearings - they can speak out so much more strongly than DOC, who has their hands tied by the politicians. And yet the Govt is trying to hamstring them by not allowing them to put up the angling fees - those fees help pay their good people to stand up for the rivers against the shortsighted developers.

Yay for short-term unsustainable growth to the detriment to the environment on which we rely... sigh.

Even so, I want to learn to smoke trout. :evil: 8) :lol:

(good shot, btw!)

Whitebait tend to be active during the day, perhaps to avoid being eaten by larger native fish, who are nocturnal?

Of course this means daytime-active trout hammer them, they didn't evolve to expect that.

It is a difficult one with trout. As far as I am concerned they are an exotic, they have had profound effects on the behaviour and distribution of native fish. HOWEVER without the huge number of anglers beating the drum for cleaning up our waterways, the rivers and streams would be in a far worse condition than they are. Fish & Game do some amazing work at resource consent hearings - they can speak out so much more strongly than DOC, who has their hands tied by the politicians. And yet the Govt is trying to hamstring them by not allowing them to put up the angling fees - those fees help pay their good people to stand up for the rivers against the shortsighted developers.

Yay for short-term unsustainable growth to the detriment to the environment on which we rely... sigh.

Even so, I want to learn to smoke trout. :evil: 8) :lol:

(good shot, btw!)

Maybe Fish and game should be paying a bounty on these destructive predators that are eating all the native wildlife?

Stella smoking trout, or any fish is really simple

To prepare fish

1. Gut the fish and pull out the gills

2. Hang overnight with flax or rope through the gills (for best taste)

3. slice down one side of the spine from head to tail, slice head in half if you like the brains/eyes etc

4. alot of people have different ways but some cut down the other side of spine also and take the spine out

5. Lay fish flat on a tray, give liberal coating of brown sugar and salt. a little bit of lemon pepper doesnt hurt either. Leave in fridge for half an hour or so and the salt/sugar will turn into a nice sticky goo.

To smoke the fish

There are many different types of smokers, i prefer useing smokehouses and smoking for 3 or 4 hours, the ones hunting and fishing/warehouse etc sell smoke/cook the fish fast (30 minutes or so) and are nice when hot but seem to loose their flavour and texture once they go cold

The small box smokers use meths and manuka sawdust and are really simple to use, basically put meths and sawdust in smoker, place fish on the rack, light the meths and close lid and come back 20-30 minutes later

1. if useing a smokehouse/44 gallon drum etc i light a fire usually useing manuka, a small fire will do, let it burn for 10 minutes or so to produce some embers

2. Place fish skin down on a rack above fire, higher up the better

3. Place 1 or 2 pieces of manuka on embers and close up the door or equivalent

4. check fire occasionaly make sure there is no flames and its smoking away, top up wood where nessecary

5. we usually smoke for 1-4 hours, the longer the better and the fish comes out beautiful. You ideally want to have no flame so the fish is smoked rather than cooked

Hah! You sit in the chat room mumbling about the latest pudding or cake your daughters have made, and you are eating, so I have no sympathy for you whatsoever :lol:

transparentraspberry.gif Going to see new nephew tonight, so won't tease you about what we had for pudding last night...

• 2 weeks later...

bambi died humanely, one second was eating breakfast on a clearing in the bush the next had a 7mm08 round through its lungs/heart and dropped on the spot, was the same story for bambi 2 later on in the day aswell.

I carried them both out, back hated it but worth it, no meat goes to waste and if you only take the back legs you have nothing to make salamis etc.

after all the hard work carrying, boning out etc tasted beautiful!!!! better than any meat from the supermarket