The continuing saga of the 700L tank

the-obstacle

They get to a similar size to altifrons so not sure I'd trust them with smaller fish when they're full grown. Could be worth a shot with either though, if it gets to the point where you think their mouths are big enough to grab a panda then move them on?

What about Biotodoma cupido?

The cupid doesn't quite have the look I'm after unfortunately. I'll keep researching but may go with good old fashioned surinamensis/kiwi altifrons from very small juvies and see how they mature in the tank that already has teritories for the apisto/ram population.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here's a shot of the tank in it's current unfinished form. All the plants are growing nicely but I feel I now need to concentrate on the NPK and co2 balance. I added some excel to the mix 2 days ago and the ambulia grew 10cm in one day so I'm assuming I need more co2. Time for that drop checker.

Anyway - enjoy!

img7711i.jpg

The only light is my 3' powerglo that I have on an hour before and an hour after the halides. It seems I've got the photoperiod right as the ambulia is just closing as the halides go out. You can see the pearling on the leaves of the micro sword (right name? something subulata or something?) on the right.

Thanks. On closer inspection it seems it may be algae that's pearling? There is definite pearling under the leaves of most plants but the stuff you can see in the photo is on top of the leaves and that's just weird. In the evenings it appears the leaves that are showing this top pearling are getting a bit dark on the tips/edges.

Oh well, I ordered my dry ferts today so should be dosing by the weekend and we'll see what happens to the algae and the plant mass after that.

edit: not bba, just dark green.

Looks great! Will look even better when the plants grow in.

With the spray bars, it might be worth trying to create a long bar across the back rather than the u shape. This will reduce the possible dead 'flow' spots around the tank.

Thanks, I hope so. re: spray bars - I've got 2 DIY overflows ready to go in the gaps on the back wall so I'll have 2 outputs from those at high water level to the sump and the cannister outputs are in the lower corners. I can't figure out how to fit the overflows in otherwise. There's one hell of a whirlpool effect going on on both sides at the moment but interestingly the plants are moving in a more natural 'breeze' motion. I did fear dead spots but I can't actually find any. I'll have another look tomorrow though.

Thanks, I hope so. re: spray bars - I've got 2 DIY overflows ready to go in the gaps on the back wall so I'll have 2 outputs from those at high water level to the sump and the cannister outputs are in the lower corners. I can't figure out how to fit the overflows in otherwise. There's one hell of a whirlpool effect going on on both sides at the moment but interestingly the plants are moving in a more natural 'breeze' motion. I did fear dead spots but I can't actually find any. I'll have another look tomorrow though.

If all the plant look like they are swaying in the breeze then you should be getting good flow. If you find tht algae is growing in a particular area then it could be a dead spot.

What turnover are you targeting with filtration?

If all the plant look like they are swaying in the breeze then you should be getting good flow. If you find tht algae is growing in a particular area then it could be a dead spot.

What turnover are you targeting with filtration?

Yeah, there are 2 spots behind the bit of wood where there is a bit of fluff on the crypts but other than that it's just lack of ferts creating dark green algae I hope.

I'm getting around 3x turnover with the 2 CF1200s and I'm hoping to double that with the sump. No idea how or where I'm going to fit the sump return pipe/spraybar but I'll figure that out when I get there. I quite like the idea of a spring type output from some rocks in the front but that seems waaaay too technical and something I should have plumbed before adding the substrate.