New here and have a few questions....

aquariumbeginner32

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Josh yes I saw that one. I've just been on TradeMe lol If I get a bigger tank it won't be able to be any bigger than that one as I measured where it would go and it needs to be 62x32x32 or less.

But the seller said the internal silicone isn't good. What does that mean? Is that easy to fix?

My husband works at a Plastics company ... I wonder if they could make a tank lol

1) (60 cm) * (30 cm) * (30 cm) = 54 liters (I love google)

2) http://www.aqadvisor.com says 24 white cloud mountain minnows max but I'd say 10 would be a good no-fuss amount

3) as much as you want to make the tank look good (within reason. no more than 3cm or so in that size tank). You don't even have to have gravel but it does look very clinical without it.

I don't know if this is of any use to you, but Petpac in Takanini has a nice little 50 litre aquarium on special at the moment for $100, it has the light an filter built in its 58.5x38.5x32 so around 2ft, all you would need to worry about is your gravel and decorations, its a nice little tank, just putting another option out there for you. Also the pet shop in Drury has the Minnows and Leopard fish at the moment...they don't do tropical fish there though.

I saw a beautiful purple fish with black stripes at Animates today. I can't remember it's name. It was with the cold/freshwater fish. Anyone know?

Okie dokie I think it is a Pseudotropheus demasoni. I would need a heater for this one??

Could I get away with having 1-2 of these in a 50L tank?

Okie dokie I think it is a Pseudotropheus demasoni. I would need a heater for this one??

Could I get away with having 1-2 of these in a 50L tank?

Not at all. You need a much bigger tank and more then just 2

I also think they are not cheap fish

The pet stores don't keep the fish in the right size tanks as they are either young fish or ones that are not going to be in that tank for long. A lot of stores will keep arowana, fish that need 8ft long tanks when older, in small 3ft tanks as they are only small and are sold before they out grow the tank

:(:(:( they are so pretty.

Yeah, they are very pretty and I don't even like Africans. But there is a huge range of fighters out there, something's bound to take your fancy. Usually they can be kept with a few non-aggressive fish, tetras, rasboras and livebearers. This means you can have the movement of smaller fish, but the character and charm of a fighter.

Oh I never decided against any particular fish. I think the reason I was going to get minnows is they were the ones I liked most out of the danios and minnows. And they only grow to 4cm.

The fighters are lovely.

Something about the purple with black stripes though.... but yes the fighters are beautiful too.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but since you're on a tight budget, I would look around: Mitre 10, Bunnings and other landscaping/supply shops.

You can get MORE than enough sand/gravel for a tiny fraction of what petshops would charge.

I'm sure there are plenty of people here (and on trademe) that have some spare gravel/sand sitting around they'd be willing to share/sell.

Good luck.

Also, Rocks and live plants would be the cheapest way to decorate your tank - and If you do it well, it can look amazing.

(Rocks you can get for free outside, and again, I'm sure if you ask the right people on here, some will send you free plant clippings.

HTH

I'm sure there are plenty of people here (and on trademe) that have some spare gravel/sand sitting around they'd be willing to share/sell.

I'll give some away with my tank for sale, that's if she wants some.

Also, Rocks and live plants would be the cheapest way to decorate your tank - and If you do it well, it can look amazing.

(Rocks you can get for free outside, and again, I'm sure if you ask the right people on here, some will send you free plant clippings.

Again, I can provide both if she wants them :wink:

If you get the 2ft tank I've got plenty of silica sand and a heater you can have. I've also got a bunch of baby guppies you're welcome to if you want them or 5 black neon tetra which josh gave me when i was setting up. You'd just need to get the tank and filter.

FYI - I'm happy to donate a heater and silica and some ambulia and a few other plants. The fish are also on offer if they suit.

Ok I'm just really thinking about it at the moment.. .deciding on what I want.

Thank you all for your wonderful offers. I will get back to you ASAP.

Can you tell me what size tank (how many litres) I would need to have the Pseudotropheus Demasoni? And how many do I need? I thought 3 would be ok but it sounds like I need a lot. How do you define a school of fish?