New here and have a few questions....

aquariumbeginner32

1. What is the difference between coldwater fish and freshwater fish?

I recently got a 15L aquarium for my kids for Christmas. I still have to get a few more things and the fish of course... I don't know whether I will get a goldfish or a Siamese Fighting fish. It all depends on the difference in costs eg food, maintenance (having to buy new suppies eg sand on a regular basis), etc Because we are on a limited budget unfortunately.

On the side of the box it says I need to get 3kg gravel, PH tester, Water Ager. So for my other questions -

2. I would like to use silica sand and a blue light. However, can you use these with goldfish? And I am guessing the silica sand has to be replaced every time you clean the tank out?

3. If you can use a blue light with goldfish - anyone know how much a small 30cm or less one is? Do they make ones this size that you can have IN the water? I saw a couple of blue lights on Trade Me that go in the water. However, they were too big.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome :D

Coldwater fish are fish that live in cold water, Freshwater fish are fish that live in freshwater. The coldwater and freshwater section names are a bit misleading :lol:

Do not get goldfish. That tank is way too small. I know the petstore says its ok, but this forum will tell you otherwise.

Get a Siamese Fighter, but you will need a heater for the tank

The silica sand wont need replacing each clean. You just use your water siphon, a length of clear hose, to suck the poo etc off it, just don't put the hose close enough to suck up the sand. You do not need a pH tester. Only if you want, but I personally never measure my pH. You can take a water sample into your local animates for a free testing.

$10 container of Bettamin from animates (or probably cheaper at hollywood fish farm) will last you a very very long time.

You can get Betta's (Siamese Fighters) off a few breeders on this forum.

If you go to the "user control panel" and go to your profile. You can add your location which will be useful for us when we suggest breeders or places to buy stuff :D

4. What other supplies do Siamese Fighting fish require, that Goldfish don't?

5. Do you need a PH tester and Water Ager with Goldfish? We had a goldfish bowl and a couple of goldfish when I was a kid and I don't think my mum had either of these.

6. Is it ok to use an air filter and pump with goldfish? The tank comes with these.

7. If I choose to use gravel instead of silica sand, if I get white gravel would a blue light still work? Or could I use a normal light next to the fish tank with a colored bulb?

8. What other things do Goldfish need, other than fish food?

It's been so long since we had goldfish I don't remember much. I think we had some kind of green plant in the bowl. Does anyone know what that is? The same thing Dex had in his fish bowl on Home And Away if anyone else here watches it LOL Sorry for all the questions.

1. What is the difference between coldwater fish and freshwater fish?

the temp you keep the fish in

2. I would like to use silica sand and a blue light. However, can you use these with goldfish? And I am guessing the silica sand has to be replaced every time you clean the tank out?

sand is really a pain and can look ugly as all the poo sits ontop of the sand. you can get white gravel that would be better. as josh said sand dosent need replacing.

3. If you can use a blue light with goldfish - anyone know how much a small 30cm or less one is? Do they make ones this size that you can have IN the water? I saw a couple of blue lights on Trade Me that go in the water. However, they were too big.

get a bigger tank, the light would be best above the fish as some fish use the light source as a way to tell which way is up and you can get fish that swim on their sides. blue is fine, dont get goldfish, get something like minnows, leopard fish or if tropical go guppies, sword tails, fighters.

I thought the tank was big enough. It looks about the same size as the bowl my mum had (how much water it would hold). I've seen goldfish bowls on Trade Me that are only 8L and this is almost double that. I was only going to have one fish. I don't want to be cruel to the fish ... it's just we are on a limited budget. It's a Christmas present and the max I was going to spend was $100. I know it's not a lot. Unfortunately it's a bad time for us financially...

How much do heaters cost?

Um I don't have a water siphon. How does it work? My mum just used to remove everything from the tank eg fish, water, stones, plant, etc and clean it all out, clean the stones and any other decorative stuff and then put clean water in the bowl, and the fish, etc back in. :lol:

What is Bettamin?

We are in Papakura, South Auckland. Unfortunately we don't even have a pet shop here now. I went to it the other day and it was closed and everything is gone. So we will have to go to Drury or Takanini or Manukau from now on....

4. What other supplies do Siamese Fighting fish require, that Goldfish don't?

a heater

5. Do you need a PH tester and Water Ager with Goldfish? We had a goldfish bowl and a couple of goldfish when I was a kid and I don't think my mum had either of these.

generaly it is a good idea but not a necessity depending on where you are, in auckland ager is recomended while in CHCH it isnt required as their water isnt chlorinated (or wasnt before the earthquake

6. Is it ok to use an air filter and pump with goldfish? The tank comes with these.

yes, but more waterchanges are required, 15 litres is too small for a goldfish

7. If I choose to use gravel instead of silica sand, if I get white gravel would a blue light still work? Or could I use a normal light next to the fish tank with a colored bulb?

yes it will still work

8. What other things do Goldfish need, other than fish food?

airpump

It's been so long since we had goldfish I don't remember much. I think we had some kind of green plant in the bowl. Does anyone know what that is? The same thing Dex had in his fish bowl on Home And Away if anyone else here watches it LOL Sorry for all the questions

theres alot of green plants available to put into aquariums, could be oxygen weed?

Just found this thread but responded in another you posted in.

Firstly, welcome to FNZAS.

I second what Josh said about getting a Siamese Fighter. All you'll need is a heater and you can keep one. Fighters do not require a large tank like minnows might, minnows need space to swim whereas fighters are a bit lazier.

HTH.

Just found this thread but responded in another you posted in.

Firstly, welcome to FNZAS.

I second what Josh said about getting a Siamese Fighter. All you'll need is a heater and you can keep one. Fighters do not require a large tank like minnows might, minnows need space to swim whereas fighters are a bit lazier.

Any chance we can see a photo (even if it's off the net) of this 15L tank?

HTH.

$100 is more than enough to get together a tank thats nice, if your alright with square box tank, not a plastic moulded one

shame to hear that the pet shop in papakura closed. animal shack in pukekohe is a great one to go to, havnt been to dury for a while but last i went 2 years ago it was a bit of a dive.

a heater can be cheep or expensive, the cheapest ive found is from "the fish tank"

removing everything etc to clean the tank is bad, it can kill all the good bacteria in your tank and shock your fish, best to change about 30% of the water every week, a siphon is just a length of hose from plastic box, bunnings etc and costs less than $5

bettamin = fish food for fighters, normal flake will feed fighters too.

no heater required for leopard fish or white cloud mountain minnows, these guys do better in a school so if your set on keeping the little tank get 3, if you get a bigger one you can get alot more

dont need an oxygen stone as if you use an air operated filter or airstone the air will be getting oxygen into it

If you can return it. Do it. You can set up a bigger tank for under $100

seconded

if they wont take it back then i guess you will have to make do.

heres a great example of a 2ft tank and the sorts of fish and plants you can put in it, the light hood here looks expensive but cheaper alternatives are available.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=48495

if you return it i can do a deal for you, ive got a few spare bits and tanks lying around i can sell you, and i might even drop it off as i have family in pukekohe

If you can return it. Do it. You can set up a bigger tank for under $100

I second that. $40 for a new 60x30x30 tank made, means you can have a few fish. Cheap filters are no more than $20, 55W heater no more than $30. I can help with a few plants if you want, but then you'll need to get a light. May also be able to help with some guppies if you decide to get a heater.

HTH

A bigger tank is much easier to look after than a small one. By bigger I mean 100L+.

When things go wrong in a small tank it can do so very quickly and the fish is dead before you realise but in a larger tank the toxins or whatever build up more slowly so you have time to see the symptoms and correct the problem before harm is done.