The Future of the hobby in NZ?

David R

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So lets say we have this list of what fish we have and what we are breeding, it sounds great!!. If I need any fish I can contact people who have them directly.

We wont have to bother with our lfs any more at all, just all trade with each other that's going to be great for the hobby and for getting more fish imported. :roll:

So lets say we have this list of what fish we have and what we are breeding, it sounds great!!. If I need any fish I can contact people who have them directly.

We wont have to bother with our lfs any more at all, just all trade with each other that's going to be great for the hobby and for getting more fish imported. :roll:

It's the kiwi way! (I think) why do you think TM is so popular.. this is a country full of traders and swappers.. I don't think the LFS will suffer

It's the kiwi way! (I think) why do you think TM is so popular.. this is a country full of traders and swappers.. I don't think the LFS will suffer

Then you know very little of the hobby and this thread, as most of it has said how this would effect future imports :roll:

Then you know very little of the hobby and this thread, as most of it has said how this would effect future imports :roll:

The import discussion in this thread has mainly revolved around species not on the allow list, how to get them on there and then import them.

I think a members register of fish will only benefit the hobby... and to simply say that the lfs will suffer because it will be easier for us to find each other (and the fish we keep) is a bit narrow minded thinking IMO..

I'm all for supporting retailers because in the end without them it would be extremely hard to have this hobby... but why make it harder for ourselves.. and beside it will benefit one of the problems identified in this thread that too many species die out in NZ

I'm sure that's sarcasm! (At least I hope it is, because that is the best way to shoot your self in the foot!).

It was very much sarcasm phoenix44.

If the retailers make money of fish sales they will bring more fish in, and not just new imports new blood for existing populations. This won't happen if we just trade fish amongst each other as they will have no reason to, it's simple economics.

Just because its the kiwi way doesn't mean its the right way or the way that is best for this hobby.

Most breeders will support the LFS first. Nothing to stop them selling it on the PT&E section, but I know a lot of breeders that won't do that.
. I hope your right and hope more do so and I wish people would look to see what fish are available at there lfs before they look on trademe or on here.

I guess I should not make statements about what the "kiwi way" is since I am not one myself.

I certainly see your point Mcculloch and I admit I did not think of it from that point of view when first suggesting the idea about the register. I guess it just made sense to me after reading all the posts about how we let species die out in NZ and what a shame that is.. beside that it would be very interresting to be able to get and idea of poulation sizes of different species.. very indicatively of course but it would paint a picture.

There seem to be more resistance than acceptance of such a register and if that is the consensus then lets leave things the way they are.

But the latin names would only be of use to the people who know what type of fish they are, like if you ask me what any of the name of the fish in my tank are i would just look at you like this :-? and I have 50 odd fish

Well its about time you started learning them then!!! If you don't know the Latin names of your fish then you really don't know what they are as common names can be made up by anyone and often cover several species.

Can we forget the whole "breeding register" thing for now and steer the discussion back onto getting new and overlooked species onto the list...

Well its about time you started learning them then!!! If you don't know the Latin names of your fish then you really don't know what they are as common names can be made up by anyone and often cover several species.

like life there are all sorts of people in this hobby and to the average hobbyist the Latin names are just gobbledegook

The reality is that some things are important to some people but not to others. Sometimes we have to skip about a bit to make sure we are discussing the same fish or plant. It is little things like this that teach us patience, tolerance and understanding. Stops life being as boring as a proverbial.

no attitude involved just a fact

So whats your point? Are you trying to disagree with me when I say people should bother to learn them or just posting obvious statements for the heck of it?

I know that a lot of people don't use or understand Latin/binomial nomenclature, but when supposedly a 'sage of the hobby' come out and say things like that is it any surprise? People think they're "gobbledegook" because they see a word with more than 5 letters and don't take more than a couple of seconds to try to pronounce it. The reality is they aren't "gobbledegook" and there are many reasons why even "average hobbyists" should make the effort to use them. Case and point with the texas cichlid example here. If you do a google images search for "texas cichlid" you get a mixture of pics of both H. carpintis and H. cyanoguttatus, the seller on TM obviously did this and decided since some of the pictures looked like his fish they were H. cyanoguttatus. But if you google Hericthys cyanoguttatus you get almost no pics of H. carpintis and if the seller had taken the time to do so he would have realised the fish he has is not H. cyanoguttatus.

And for the pronunciation thing, its actually really simple in most cases despite how it looks, most of the time its pronounced as it looks; Hericthys cyanoguttatus = her-ick-thiss sy-ano-gut-tay-tus. One exception is when a fish is named after a person, the name is pronounced as it usually would be but with the "eye" sound on the end, eg Pseudotropheus demasoni, named after Laif DeMason, should be pronounced de-mason-i and not dem-a-sone-i.

Sorry for the massive off topic rant but its something I feel strongly about, and while we're discussing the 'future of the hobby' I have to wonder where its heading if we have experienced people telling newbies that Latin names are just "gobbledegook"....

I'm not joining the argument but for clarity I didn't read LA's post as him telling me (a newbie) that it's

gobbledegook. I thought he was quoting joe average.

You're probably right, I'm just not quite sure why he said it, other than just to say the opposite of what I had said...

I agree that scientific names are incredibly useful (removes the ambiguity of common names expecially when dealing with people in other countries), and even with taxanomic revisions, the likes of fishbase allows you to match up an old scientific name with the current one.

However I agree with LA - for your average hobbyist (which many of us here probably aren't) it's not required - what difference does it make to them if that Texas cichlid isn't H. cyanoguttatus - they saw it at the LFS, liked the look of it and bought it. The fact that it's probably H. carpintis doesn make any difference to them, it's still a fish they like the look of and it won't change how they keep it. Yes - ends up very frustrating for people looking for 'real' texas cichlids - but then those people will see the fish for sale and know it's not H. cyanoguttatus and be able to say "nah, not what I was after".

I do wish that wholesalers would include (accurate) scientific names on their lists, then when I ask a retailer what the scientific name is they'll be able look it up on their list and tell me so I can then do my own research.