Red Hump Eartheater (G. steindachneri) avaliable in NZ?

hovmoller

Just had a look at MAF's fish allowed list and of the Geophagus found ONLY 3 species:

"surinamensis" and "jurupari" (list said jurapari tsk tsk) both incorrect names or should I say out of date... but that's another story.

Anyway the 3rd Geo on there is Geophagus steindachneri or Red Hump Eartheater...I kept and bred these when I was younger back in Denmark and have fond memories of them so was wondering if anyone have or have seen these? Have not seen them anywhere since I came here.

On another note I saw what seems like the entire amount of Corydoras species known to man is on that list.. how hard can it be to do a bit more research and add a lot more tropical fish to that list?? eg. more Geos... come on MAF!!

Yeah they're here, have seen them a couple of times in the shops, and one person who used to post here had a pair of them. Last time I saw them was in Animates Mt Eden a few years back.

The hardest part about getting more species of Geo added to the list is that a lot of them are recently described [ex-surinamensis complex] or still undescribed [eg. G. Sp. 'Red Head Tapajos'] so finding enough "peer reviewed scientific papers" to prove they won't be a risk could be difficult. I'd still like to try putting the onus back on them by saying they should update their list to keep the names valid and include all the new species that have been derived from the surinamensis complex...

^ http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/imports/ ... ic.all.htm

Wouldn't call them "ugly" - beauty is in the eye of the beholder... :wink:

I should have said ugly for a Geophagus...

http://www.cichlidforums.com/postimages ... 18-001.jpg

vs.

http://www.bergenak.org/wp-content/uplo ... 707_01.jpg

Anyway, they're not even a Geophagus sensu stricto... :wink:

Hehe Well yeah if you compare a dirt old Steinie with a young altifrons in it's prime then yes it will look ugly.. :D

So it's not the stunner of the family.. but still has lots of interresting behavior and doesn't require as large a setup as altifrons does..

Anyway I'm sure this has been covered in many previous threads but has the FNZAS approached MAF about the lack of species on that list? does anyone know?

Hopefully someone out there has got a pair of G. balzanii out of the last lot that came in, I miss my old pair :(

Speaking of ugly eartheaters!!! :wink:

Nah they are nice... and good for the powerbill as well I guess..

Funny.. one of the first results on google is David's G. balzanii sexing problem from 2008 on MFK.. What temp did you keep them at David and did you manage to breed them finally or only got eggs?

Funny.. one of the first results on google is David's G. balzanii sexing problem from 2008 on MFK.. What temp did you keep them at David and did you manage to breed them finally or only got eggs?

That was their downfall I think, at first I didn't have a spare tank to put them in other than with the little loaches I was growing out, so they were at about 27-8C for some time, and then when we moved and I set up the fish room I couldn't get the tank cool enough because of the ambient temperature from the other tanks. If I got some now I'd keep them in an unheated tank in the fishroom which should allow them a cooling period over winter.