Check out this moth.

Insect Direct

pretty sure theyre eggs??? either that or poop, but i hatched some smaller yet similar things from the little housemoths recently. so im pretty sure they are eggs....

my mother was given it (to pass onto me) presumably already dead but apparently the moth came alive the other night,and those little black things were in the container come the next morning. housemoths often do the same if stuck in a container ive found..

iirc once they hatch from their cocoon(Is hatch the right word?) they can't eat. They live for less than a week, slowly starving to death while they look for a mate and try to breed. So, I doubt the little black things are poop.

That's why you(Or at least I) rarely find them active and healthy looking. If you see one and can catch it it's probably just about dead.

iirc once they hatch from their cocoon(Is hatch the right word?) they can't eat. They live for less than a week, slowly starving to death while they look for a mate and try to breed. So, I doubt the little black things are poop.

That's why you(Or at least I) rarely find them active and healthy looking. If you see one and can catch it it's probably just about dead.

That is correct Ira

They lay their eggs in the leaf litter and the caterpillar crawls up a tree and burrows into the trunk.

It will live there for up to 6-7 years eating the stuff secreted from the wound of the tree. Then once it is ready it will emerge in springtime and become the moth we see in the pictures. They have no mouthparts and live for only a few days.

They are a very pretty moth.