Pet Birds

JarrenB

did you know that pigeons in the wild rearly live more than 3 years but in the loft live up to 20 years?

Better health and food

Yeah it's quite amazing. And what's better about them, is that they don't need a huge aviary, a loft suits them fine, because they can be let out to fly around the neighbourhood at their own free will and will come back for food later on.

I have a beautiful Jones Janssen hen (called Dusky), and she is a fantastic pet! She used to find her way inside the house through open windows, and would scratch on the door if she wanted to come in! She has a mate now, so she stays with him in the loft and doesn't come inside the house anymore (plus mum wouldn't allow it to continue any longer, because she got sick of the poos!). She is very tame, and likes sitting on my shoulder when I'm in the loft.

The reson she probably wanted to come inside is because there was a ferret attack at the time (this was about 2 years ago), and she was the only pigeon left. I've got over 40 now.

Just goes to show that not all pigeons are dumb, pesky birds like most people say.

Jones are an old New Zealand breed. I have found them quite hard to source, because most people breed stuff like Van Reets, Busschaerts and those sorts of fancy imports. The Jones are a type of Janssen bred in NZ for a long time, so they are able to cope exceptionally well with rough weather and I've found them much better than the other breeds. My dad and I recently got some McMillans, another old NZ breed. I've never kept these before, so it will be interesting to see how well they race.

I have also found Jones x Staf Van Reet birds to be quite good too.

I use to race Gibby McMillans birds out of area for him here in Auckland

Still never heard of Jones though and Ive had racing pigeons for 35 years, dont have them now mind you

I use to import and arrange auctions for Nick Brent from Sydney and through him had direct Louella birds here

I was one of the first to import in he early 90's

Which club do you race in?

Do you know Kerry Fraser?

there was a Jones in CHCH racing when i was a youngster

an aviary bred bird should be kept in an aviary

a hand reared bird can be kept in a cage so long as it is let out on a daily or regular basis

i prefer a clipped wing in this situation to prevent a bird getting a fright and escaping through an open window or door

when they get outside and up in the air they don't recognise any landmarks and can lose track of where they are

some species will survive outside, others don't

a well trained bird once it has been taught to come when called can be left to grow their wing back

nothing like watching an alexandrine or king as it performs those acrobatics in the sky :wink:

No I don't know Kerry Fraser. In fact, I have no idea who those other people are that you metioned either! :lol:

I race with the Blenheim Pigeon Racing Club.

Kerry has been the top flier in NZ for the last 30 years

Gibby was the person who started the McMillian strian... Gibby McMillian

Do you free fly some birds Living art?

used to have some fancies modena, jacobin, satinettes, american homer, frillbacks

now rehomed locally

as a youngster n CHCH used to breed and race

to answer the question, have some pets who have full wings and the doors are always open

they choose to be where they want to be :wink:

Thanks I was meaning parrots in particular have been interested in this for a while. I really like Chris Biros ideas on the subject ( http://www.wingsatliberty.com ).

I helped/watched them train Macaws at auckland zoo for free flight as a student a long time ago, was also there when one of the macaws in mention decided to do a massive fly around on its first flight outside, freaking everyone out lol.