First time keeping discus

Joshlikesfish

http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/showt ... hp?t=28937

Found that awhile ago. Thats more for power growing then keeping discus right?

What would be the recommended size tank for 4-6 discus? Dimensions is the biggie. I have a 200L tank that would be ok for a few discus but Its only 40cm high 40cm wide and I've been told thats not enough

Thanks

Its recommended that each discus have about 50 litres of water. The only thing about buying them small is that they are labour intensive as in require daily water changes and optimum conditions to keep them healthy and encourage growth. I'm lazy in that I buy mine larger so that I can just display them. I don't know how fast they grow but I think it should be 1cm per month at the start i.e. 2 months 2cm, 3 months 3cm. The recommended price used to be $10 per cm but I don't know if that still applies either.

I'm quite alright with doing daily water changes. Will over filter the tank also. I've met a guy who was keeping about 10 in a 200L with fast growth rates and two 50% water changes a week. Only was ran with an internal and two sponge filters

Will think about getting discus once the fish room is built :D

Lots of variables here,if you plan on going bare bottom then

400 high should be fine,I prefer mine 450

You can have even lower for growing out discus but for a large adult discus in a bare bottom tank

450 is a nice height

Best to get 6 discus to grow out in that tank,5 is ok but larger groups do far better

Daily water changes are recommended for optimum growth

You might get 1-2 cracking fish out of that 6 and the rest will be so so's

The 2 most dominant ones are most likely to have the best shape.

The other discus are more likely to be stunted by the hormones the discus release to stunt the competing discus.

That's why we do lots of WCs for young fish, and have large grow out tanks in an attempt to dilute the concentration of those hormones.

Not so much of an issue in larger discus as the shape is more or less determined by that time.

The 2 most dominant ones are most likely to have the best shape.

The other discus are more likely to be stunted by the hormones the discus release to stunt the competing discus.

That's why we do lots of WCs for young fish, and have large grow out tanks in an attempt to dilute the concentration of those hormones.

Not so much of an issue in larger discus as the shape is more or less determined by that time.

Hahaha.. this makes so much sense!..

Couldn't figure out why I have 1 discus in turbo growth mode and 4 on "standby mode" even though they all eat heaps.

More WC's it is then... thanks! :hail:

(walks away to do a water change)

What do you mean by "cracking" and "so so"? and why only 1-2 out of 6?

What generally happens is 1 or 2 fish tend to grow a bit faster and bigger and leave the rest behind.These fish may go onto a good adult size where as the rest may only attain an average adult size with one usually being smaller.

Best way to combat this is to have bigger groups 10+ and you will get better results