Trading of a vehicle with or without warrant/rego

Hubby and I have just traded a vehicle in for another one. The one we traded in, the warrant and registration just expired like 10 days ago. We didn't actually realise this at the time of arranging the sale.

Do we have a legally have to trade in the vehicle with a current warrant and registration? Hubby doesn't think so. Its just that I went to pick up new vehicle today and car salesman said that legally the one we traded has to have a current warrant and 3 months registration.. yet they checked the vehicle last week and never said a thing about the rego and warrant being out. Surely that is something they would check for.

I don't think legally it has to be current, in my job I have financed several vehicles for people that aren't current....thats for purchasing outright, I would imagine it would be the same for trade ins, it may be one of their conditions though at the sales yard and your salesman may have just been trying to pass the buck so you didn't question him.

It should have been defined before you guys did the deal, you should have been given $xx trade in for a certain state car.. Generally unless you have a really nice car they just get rid of them at the auctions and have that built into the price so it shouldn't really be a biggie for them.

Thanks guys, yeah the vehichle in question is subject to RUC too but I think its still got a few kms left on it. He said not to worry about that anyway.

On Friday (I was not present so can't be 100% sure but hubby was there) no one mentioned that the warrant or rego was out or that it us bring it up to date was a condition of the sale. Two guys were checking the vehicle over to make a trade in offer, which was $5k. Hubby apparently signed documents on Friday. We handed the cheque over for the rest on Saturday, at which point we were told the vehicle we were buying needed brake pads for a warrant. Monday came and went with the vehicle still not in our possession because parts didn't arrive. Tuesday we were told parts arrived, should be done today, but they rang me about 4:45pm to say it won't be ready because someone ordered the wrong parts.

As I'd been driving the trade in vehicle unregistered and unwarranted for two days in preparation for the exchange, I wasn't too impressed at having to drive it a third day, since I'm not used to driving a slow as column shift diesel ute! He then told me that if I wanted to, I could drop off the ute and take one of their loan cars for the night, which I did. It was while we were waiting for that to be sorted that he mentioned the rego and warrant. I think because of them having to do the brake pads/rotors/idlers whatever etc to our new vehicle (which he said was quite expensive) that he's trying to recoup some of the money he is going to lose by having to get our trade in vehicle a warrant and rego.

Hopefully hubby is able to sort him out today...

Did you specify the trade-in was "as-is where-is"?

I wasn't there when the deal was done but my husband is under that impression. Like I said before no mention of warrant or registration was made when the two guys were checking it over before making the offer on the Friday, papers were then signed the same day.

I've just been speaking to one of my workmates and he seems to think there may have been some recent rule changes... hmmm

maybe not necessary as they were supposedly dealing with professionals who should know what they are looking at

Exactly. This salesman is no spring chicken. He's been in the game for a long time. He should know.

I always thought that people dealt with car sales yards and trade ins to avoid all the hassles like these, the sales person or person doing the deal should have outlined these things before the sale..

To me it sounds like they have got upset they had to spend money on the car they sold you and want to try and recoup some of it, either that or they have put your old car through a WOF it has heaps of issues they didn't know about and want you guys to fix them..

no, but you need to pay for the time that the registration ran out to when the change of ownership was carried out, but if its a few days the post shop dosent worry about it (personally happend with me)

the sales yard has to provide you with a car that has atleast 3 months rego and a WOF that was issued recently before you get it (i think its 1-2 monts).

short answer, hes having you on so if you tell him that you cant be bothered with going through with the hassle of the sale and want to pull out im sure that he will start singing a diffrent tune

the amount of people who let regos lapse when its free to put them on hold is astonishing.

And no, its only for motor vehicle traders that must have a current wof and rego to sell - ie. road legal. with the amount of rego theres not even a requirement, most used dealers give ya 3 months, but ive found even with bikes now (due to $) most will only give you 1 months rego.

I would call his bluff and tell him you cant be bothered and are considering not going through with the deal. I bet they will be quick to see things right.

If they play the "you signed the deal its too late to back out" thing then remind him the same goes. He signed and now he changing his deal (unless there was a clause in the contract, but you being in Insurance industry, Im sure you read all the fine print :wink: )

With the economy as it is, its not worth it to him to loose the sale over a minor cost which he will probably just add to the cost of the next deal he does.