6 foot Geo Tank

antwan

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The wood looks quite "fresh" I mean that it still has bark on it.. So it will still leach tanins into the water for a very long time yet in my experience.. but yes it will get better with time and if you follow all the other good advice.. I agree that you need more light.

If you like your plants don't put them with Geos.. if you really really want plants then you have to anchor them between big rocks unless you want them floating :wink:

I do think this tank will look awesome once everything settles though :D

Edit: Please don't choose tetras that are too small (lemons are fine).. They WILL disappear in the night... Geos don't hunt tetras but if one drifts too close in their sleep it will become a night snack.

Sorry to disappoint but I'm not going to go with lemons, with the tank the way it is and full of tannins I don't think they will stand out as much. That's why I'm wanting to go with a silver bodied one so it gets a nice shimmer going under the light, I feel that will give a nice effect.

Sorry to disappoint but I'm not going to go with lemons, with the tank the way it is and full of tannins I don't think they will stand out as much. That's why I'm wanting to go with a silver bodied one so it gets a nice shimmer going under the light, I feel that will give a nice effect.

Have you ever seen a school of Lemons in all their glory?

Not what they look like in the shops but what they actually look like when they are healthy and in the right conditions. They look stunning.

But you pay your monies and take your pick. :wink:

Maybe kittie tetras, LOL :wink: :lol:

Shame they come from the wrong continent. :lol:

Would look great though!!

So does Crypt Balansae etc, but Antwan suggested he wanted to use that so I dont think there was any South American only theme happening. Just an idea

I have Congos with my Geos, The look good together.

Well, I went to a local breeder's house this evening and made a purchase. I got 10 more panda cory's and 25 silver tip tetra's, only stung me $90 for the lot! soooo cheap. It's very cool seeing both species schooling though, what a sight! This is why I love keeping small fish in big tanks, you can really see their behaviour coming out. I just need more light so I can see more than the middle of the tank :lol:

Very happy, can't wait for the Geo's in a few weeks time!

Well, I went to a local breeder's house this evening and made a purchase. I got 10 more panda cory's and 25 silver tip tetra's, only stung me $90 for the lot! soooo cheap. It's very cool seeing both species schooling though, what a sight! This is why I love keeping small fish in big tanks, you can really see their behaviour coming out. I just need more light so I can see more than the middle of the tank :lol:

Very happy, can't wait for the Geo's in a few weeks time!

Hi Antwan..

Good choice of smaller fish.. I would love to hear what your corys think of the Geos once you get them..

I had a little flok of Bandit Corys (very similar in size and colour to Pandas) together with my Geos and every time a Geo would swim over them they would dart in all possible directions as if Godzilla was about to step on them... I'm sure they would scream like mad too if they weren't fish!

The Geos of course would not even notice the bandits :D

I feed mine a mix of flake, NLS 1mm granules and colourbits, with the occasional feed of bloodworms, brine shrimp and chopped prawn. Don't worry about the food being too small for them. I stir all the flake and granules in so it sinks and they spend the next half an hour going crazy working the sand over.

I use NLS 1mm cichlid and sometimes the 1mm thera A+.. also still some colourbits and bloodworms/brineshrimp (because I still have some left)

When the other stuff runs out I will probably only feed with NLS.. they seem very healthy and happy on just that food. (and it's soooo easy)