growing clown loaches hard and fast.

henward

I'd love to know how many in captivity make it to anywhere near that. I think the slow growth and long lifespan lulls people into thinking they can get away with keeping them in small tanks and small numbers, when both of those things are probably large contributing factors to premature death.

yeah you get the odd TM auction that has one thats old.

i managed to get a big one from a TM auction, and it had a massive growth spurt of literally 3 to 4 cm in 18 months!

that comes from feeding massively!

The bigger they are, the more time they need to settle in i find.

the small ones are schooling! awesome sight, the big ones are just hiding and comes out to get food and hides immediately. CLicks too lol never heard it before, weird.

wonder why they do it.

yeah, the tank is big, the school of 60 is in the 8footer 1200Litres.

no shortage of space to swim!

Main plan is to eventually have 88 or 100 in a 2000 to 3000 litre tank, with a high grade red aro.

lots of hiding spaces, wood.

will do when they are more comfortable

the 20 are larger ones, they h ide all day most of the time unless its feeding time, they are only starting to come out.

maybe couple to few more weeks, they will be back to their old selves.

the small ones are schooling, 40 to 45. I will get a vid when they start to get mroe comfy too.

I have spread the feeding out to small meals 4 times a day.

10am, 5pm, one by me about 7 to 8pm. and one tiny portion around 3am in the morning.

so i feed what i would feed in a day total - but spread out through otu the day.

(Maybe slightly more in total, but very slightly)

I doubt its going to coause any problems, in habitat there would constantly be able to feed and simply wouldn't eat if they're not hungry. Its probably not necessary though, 3 feeds a day is fine. If you feed them too much the nutrients won't be used and all you'll be doing is creating more high protein [and expensive] waste for your filters to deal with.

yeah, fair enough may re asses the morning feed

i guess i am just portioning the feed through out the day, so they dont get a bulge in the belly and gorge at a time.

they are nocturnal - thats why i decided to give them a little something when they are most active

I have spread the feeding out to small meals 4 times a day.

10am, 5pm, one by me about 7 to 8pm. and one tiny portion around 3am in the morning.

so i feed what i would feed in a day total - but spread out through otu the day.

(Maybe slightly more in total, but very slightly)

you may find with that regime only some of them are eating most of the food