What to feed lemon cichlids and shell dwellers?

fish_tank0311

Agreed. Well i did kind of rearrange the tank, because to get the lelupis out i took out all the rocks, and i only put them back in once i was acclimatising the new guy, and it is quite different. And i moved the 4 shells into 2 groups of 2 in a different spot of the tank so they can have 2 each, but you think the fighting will stop? Do i need to do anything? I know google is my friend but i have an encyclopedia talking to me right now....(his name is Ryan)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It may stop just keep a good eye on them you have plenty of hiding places so hopefully the new fish will hide until it decides to stand up for itself and fight back.. This of course may never happen, or if they are both males or both females then they may just keep scrapping, maybe try and build some rock work up in the middle so that it divides the tank and means that the bullied fish can have one side of the tank without being seen and chased off by the existing fish.

TBH though i find that boring i like lots of different species on 1 tank. can i not keep multiple species of shell dwellers in the tank? And if i got rid of the shell dwellers, i cant keep any other species happily with the lemons?

If you want "lots of different species" of cichlids in one tank you would need a bigger tank. Either that or you could go the risky way and most likey have a high amount of losses. Lemon cichlids do get quite agressive and would probably maul your little shellie when they get bigger. I understand that shellies are quite pricey compared with your everyday african? In my opinion you wold need a bigger tank if you wanted to keep them happily with the lemons, every person on here (that i have seen) seems to keep them in a species only tank and that seems to be the best way of keeping them as they are so small.

• 4 weeks later...

I have about five different tanganyikan species together. However I do have them in a 6ft tank.

I have worked out it is about cospecific aggression and having enough of each species to combat that, where you put your hidding areas and staying away from the real bullies of the cichlid world. I also started off having mine as fry so they all grew up together.

In my tank I have a mixture of rock and wood with narrrow leafed, windlow and normal java fern, plus anubias species (A-town, I hope you read this and remember to find me more of the different anubias species :wink: ). Quite a few of the cichlids have made the plants home and the smaller ones hid in it for protection.

My 5 shellies which also live with the larger cichlids and have about 70 shells to choose from, which have been spread thoughout the tank to help with aggression.

As ryan mentioned above, before you buy, do a little research on the species you want and see if they are work together, or work out ways to help them settle in with each other.