The Reptile hobby in New Zealand

acanthurus

heres an article i came across when lost in cyber space the other night.

http://wildlife.massey.ac.nz/research/c ... rticle.pdf

Couple of bits under "Source of incursion" I found to be rather interesting!

Preliminary results suggest that the New Zealand strain is almost identical to that initially identified in the USA from captive frogs, but varies by up to 3% from the Australian strain. Although further work is needed, the results suggest that New Zealand chytrids are recent arrivals but perhaps not from Australia.

Some workers believe that patterns of population declines in Australia and Central America resemble ‘extinction waves’ typical of epizootics involving highly virulent agents that spread by global trade in exotic aquarium fishes

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

apparently ,but what about reptiles.....

after second reading,is it the imported fish or airborne or global warming?

what about the exotic reptiles? :wink:

I doubt its airborne, but anythings possible i guess. Birds/insects migrating maybe?, maybe just someone didnt clean their shoes after a holiday?

As for Reptiles, dont ask me, surely their is a risk though. Risk of what and how much of a risk is well beyond my knowledge..

I doubt its airborne, but anythings possible i guess. Birds/insects migrating maybe?, maybe just someone didnt clean their shoes after a holiday?

As for Reptiles, dont ask me, surely their is a risk though. Risk of what and how much of a risk is well beyond my knowledge..

just asking the question :wink:

is it via fly blown poos? e.c.t

that is a possibility,

Insect vectors are also thought to be able to spread the RCD virus in rabbits

also humans handling infected animals and spreading it

any new diseases would more likely come from smuggled animals than ones that have been through a quarantine and testing process

don`t know about chytrid but I remember back in the 70`s poplar rust crossed the tasman via wind and decimated various species of poplar trees,spreading across the country from there in a couple of short years?Also giardia supposedly arrived via tourists who came here infected went for a nice bush walk and were caught short at some point, relieved themselves near a waterway and infected the water which then the local animals became infected and so on?probably easier than we would think for these things to establish.If their is some sort of opening nature will soon take advantage?

If I remember correctly the work done by Heidi indicated that about 10% of turtles had Salmonella and about 80% of beardies.

In a previous life I have investigated Salmonella cases contracted by people playing with native lizards in huts on the west coast walking tracks (Salmonella St Paul I think). There are a number of serotypes in the native and exotic lizard populations. There is also Salmonella indemic in the sparrow poulation down this way as was psitticosis in the feral pidgeon population.

If people can contract it from lizards the same in the converse is true and there are not many flush toilets on the west coast walking tracks.

Was it not a previously unknown in NZ serotype of Salmonella that brought about the demise of the iggies. Salmonella is motile but it cannot fly so it would require some assistance to get to NZ. I hate to picture a mature male iggie in someones undies but I could see some retard with a baby.

yes iggies was mt pleasant, one of th points put forward to erma was that this strain was not known in nz before the iggies were tested, am american strain

3 months after iggies were determined to be a new organism and destroyed new info came to light that mt pleasant salmonella was already here years before

go figure

That I could believe. Salmonellas are serotyped locally often but will only be accepted as correct when confirmed by the National Health Institute. Maf records seem to be non existant and I would wonder if the Human and animal health people ever talk to each other.

I did a case years ago of Salmonellosis in a world renown poultry consultant who was travelling the country and lecturing all the poultry people. It was a strain never found in NZ before but common in poultry in Australia. I may have a bad memory but I don't recall being asked to "put the guy down."