Albino frogs - Pics Tadpole to Frog

spawn last week - normal eggs, only one hatched, which is a normal looking tadpole.

Was from two green frogs, both should be splits. Small chance i muddled up one normal male with a split 6months ago, but If thats not the case than she's an interesting result....

anyone else had the splits spawn yet? be interested to know what the results were.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

spawn last week - normal eggs, only one hatched, which is a normal looking tadpole.

Was from two green frogs, both should be splits. Small chance i muddled up one normal male with a split 6months ago, but If thats not the case than she's an interesting result....

anyone else had the splits spawn yet? be interested to know what the results were.

How do you simulate breeding conditions when they get old enough???

How old do you think the ones i have are???

Thanks

• 2 months later...

This assumes that Albinism is carried in one gene...

You would also have learnt that there can be many genes in the genotype that control the phenotype, with some not expressed at all even if there is a dominance.

All in all, unless you can map the entire genome of the species that your working on and isolate individual genotypical and phenotypical expressions and genes, it is a hit/miss affair...

frogs/offspring (splits) i sold from an albino female and green male last year arnt producing any albinos for one breeder apparently :-?

I cant work it out, when I bred the off spring back to albino i got a small % albino each time which hints the genes are straight forward to me.

anyone else bred them yet and care to share?

frogs/offspring (splits) i sold from an albino female and green male last year arnt producing any albinos for one breeder apparently :-?

I cant work it out, when I bred the off spring back to albino i got a small % albino each time which hints the genes are straight forward to me.

Are the albino's weaker?

An albino to a split should give some albino even if not 25% because they seem to be weaker.

i have found albino x albino progeny to be weaker

but the way ID has bred them produces stronger offspring with better colouring

amphibian gene inheritance is still no researched fully and some amphibs don't seem to express recessive genes as other animals do

just because you should expect 25% albino doesn't mean you will get that %

some years maybe none and others maybe 50%

genetics is not a guaranteed science especially when it comes to amphibs

had a pair of green ringnecks, male supposed to be split albino, a sex linked trait in ringnecks

should produce 25% albino hens in progeny and males possibly split albino

took 3 years and 14 offspring before they produced albino chicks x 3

if split x split is not producing albinos at all. yet split x albino is producing a small percent albino, and if all albinos produced are male....

a tough one

with what you describe above if all produced were males one could argue it is recessive and sex linked

had a pair of green ringnecks, male supposed to be split albino, a sex linked trait in ringnecks

should produce 25% albino hens in progeny and males possibly split albino

took 3 years and 14 offspring before they produced albino chicks x 3

a tough one

with what you describe above if all produced were males one could argue it is recessive and sex linked

If Split x Split (of a recessive mutation) are not producing coloured progeny then your origional breeding stock can not be split, You perhaps have split to normal ??? Simple recessive, must resoult in 25 % coloured, 50% Normal split, and 25 % Normal of either sex. According to all international breeding resoults of mutations in Reptiles and Anphibians ....

The only way to tell a split from a normal from this mating (as above) is to test mate it back to a coloured of the same mutation...

If Split x Split (of a recessive mutation) are not producing coloured progeny then your origional breeding stock can not be split, You perhaps have split to normal ??? Simple recessive, must resoult in 25 % coloured, 50% Normal split, and 25 % Normal of either sex. According to all international breeding resoults of mutations in Reptiles and Anphibians ....

that is correct if it is a recessive mutation

What did you get from split to split ?

had my first pair of splits spawn this week as it happens, all eggs normal, all tadpoles normal colour. will try for a couple more spawns to confirm but that single result seems consistent with the result you've had.

split back to albino is producing a small % (guesstimate around 25%) here. so it would seem they carry the trait but it doesnt seem as straight forward as once thought.

had my first pair of splits spawn this week as it happens, all eggs normal, all tadpoles normal colour. will try for a couple more spawns to confirm but that single result seems consistent with the result you've had.

split back to albino is producing a small % (guesstimate around 25%) here. so it would seem they carry the trait but it doesnt seem as straight forward as once thought.

I have mated four trios of your ”Guaranteed Splits” resulting in over 10,000 tadpoles from the frogs purchased from you. I have not had a single colored tadpole…. I also know of one other person who had some of your “Guaranteed Splits”!!!!! Who is also, yet to breed a colored tadpole.

To date all known Albino and Lutino mutations in amphibians and reptiles is `SIMPLE RESESSIVE`, there is nothing complex about these mutations to those who have been for a doing it a long time…