Driftwood

blueyes

Okay, so we went away to Kaiaua for a nice girls weekend.... went over to the "beach" for a walk and I picked up a few pieces of driftwood. Someone had been down there making fires I think and one or two of the pieces I picked up have small patches where it has been slightly burnt. My question (which I think I know the answer for) is...... can these pieces still be used?

Okay, so we went away to Kaiaua for a nice girls weekend.... went over to the "beach" for a walk and I picked up a few pieces of driftwood. Someone had been down there making fires I think and one or two of the pieces I picked up have small patches where it has been slightly burnt. My question (which I think I know the answer for) is...... can these pieces still be used?

Free activated carbon!

Just scrape it off, and give it a rinse. It will be fine.

Its just a small mark on part of it.......its an awesome piece and I really want to use it, but not willing to risk the health of my fish for it, what I was thinking is before I am ready to use it to put it in a test tank with some neons or something and see how they go before I put it in with my clowns and bristlenoses....not that I don't value the lives of the neons....but since they are a weaker fish I would soon know if they weren't happy.......

the charcoal part is just like the carbon. my mother used to put it i with her bulbs to keep the water clean. And i have used beach drift wood before. i boiled it a few times then left in a barrel of water till it was waterlogged (lol) and have had it in my tank since feb with no problems. how ever i have also had other drift wood start to errode in other tanks. the wood needs to be hard not soft and if the wood can be rubbed off it will do this in the tank. hope that helps

hey just to all the drift wood fans on this blog, does anyone know any good places to find nice drift wood in or near palmerston north? I'm looking for peices that look like roots for my 60L to be planted tank

You could go to the Wanganui river mouth if thats not too far... Go out to the beach on the northern side of the river out to Castecliff the closer you get to the pier the better.. there's more driftwood than sand out there!!! :D

Check it out:

WanganuiRiver.jpg

(I know this picture was taken years ago but it gives you an idea of where driftwood tends to gather)

ah yes but is it all just single peices with most of the good branchy places broken off in the surf?

It's a mix of all sorts.. from new stuff that just came out of the river to really old washed out stuff.. You could probably find a whole intact tree there if you wanted :wink:

I got most of my driftwood from there are some very nice branchy pieces.. you just have to wander down the beach and take your time looking for the right ones.. a lot of them are half burried as well but a lot of it is quite waterlogged so don't have to soak long before sinking.

When I went there I forgot to bring a saw.. could have gotten some really nice pieces if I could have cut them off the tree they were attached to.

There's not too many big rivers that flow through native forests around Auckland, could either try port waikato or up the west coast somewhere, just don't expect scenes like down south with beaches covered in wood....

Expected as much. Can't wait till summer/late spring now. Would give me an excuse to plan for a beach road trip ;).