The Hairgrass Project V.2

SamH

The Hairgrass Project V.2

So today I started my latest project, growing hairgrass again using a 60x30x30cm tank (54L), DIY CO2 and 1x 18w T8 6500k tube. Supasi sent some hairgrass on Thursday and it arrived on Friday so I seperated it all Friday night and got planting on Saturday. But first I went digging for some soil to help the plants along.

Fish007.jpgFish008.jpg

I simply removed the big roots and rocks, broke up the large clumps and spread it roughly on the bottom of the tank.

Fish009.jpgFish010.jpg

Then I added the sand ontop, and levelled it out.

Fish011.jpgFish014.jpg

Fish012.jpgFish013.jpg

Then I planted all the hairgrass I had seperated the night before in a sort of half circle shape.

Fish015.jpg

I then added Ambulia in the background empty space and filled the tank up slowly and carefully. Disturbing the soil would leave the tank cloudy for days.

Fish019.jpgFish021.jpg

I will add CO2 later on today.

Fish022.jpg

It looks pretty awful at this stage but I'm hoping it gets much better soon.

Glad it arrived safely. I hope it does ok for you. Its a bit of a mess where I have it growing. Hence some of the small sticks in amongst it all.

Keep updating the photos as it grows :wink:

Yeah, thanks again man. I have no problems sorting through all the sticks, leaves and random bits, I got a lot more out of it than I expected :D

Are you talking 'garden' soil? If so, what is your reason behind using it? :D

I usually just use plain sand, sometimes with commercial clay balls. I've been trying out some DIY clay balls and got good results with them. I figured garden soil is bound to have more nutrients that just sand alone, hoping to get some fine results here 8) If I could do it again, I'd only make the sand 40mm deep, 50mm might be a bit deep for the hairgrass to send roots right down.

So you are not putting fish in it then, just growing hairgrass?

At this stage, I'm going to blast the CO2 but eventually fish will be in there. I'm not sure how the dirt will affect them, or even whether it will affect them at all. We shall see :)

There are worse types of grass the boy could grow :lol:

lol :lol:

Sams already done the hairgrass once so its interesting he's trialing it again.

The 'just growing hairgrass' was because I wondered what the soil would do to tropicals.

There are worse types of grass the boy could grow :lol:

Yes, perhaps if the algae gets all to much I could switch to terrestrial grass :lol:

Sams already done the hairgrass once so its interesting he's trialing it again.

The 'just growing hairgrass' was because I wondered what the soil would do to tropicals.

I like hairgrass, I feel I can do it better on a slightly larger scale this time, perhaps sell some too. I am also wondering what the soil might do, there isn't much of it but we'll see :wink:

Did you treat the soil first (ie. baking in an oven?)

Just wondering cos there are a lot of soil endemic bacteria (eg. listeria, legionella, clostridium ) that can be pathogenic in the right circumstances to mammals. And not to mention fungi....

Am also wondering what it might do to the fish....

Will be watching with interest when you add the fish.

Did you treat the soil first (ie. baking in an oven?)

Just wondering cos there are a lot of soil endemic bacteria (eg. listeria, legionella, clostridium ) that can be pathogenic in the right circumstances to mammals. And not to mention fungi....

Am also wondering what it might do to the fish....

Will be watching with interest when you add the fish.

Nope, none of that fancy stuff. Just plain and simple garden soil. I think we all look foward to what it will do :)

• 2 weeks later...
If you do get it up and going, I might be keen to buy some of you. I have just added some to a small tank for my fighter to lie on.

Sweet as mate 8)

Sorry, forgot photos. Just imagine the tank exactly the same, but with more brown grass :oops: