apple snails eat plants or algae only and black algae stuff?

henward

From previous experience golden apple snails will happily clear-fell a planted tank, however brown apple snails (and by the sound of it the blue ones too) will leave plants alone unless they're starving (i.e. they prefer to eat decaying plant matter or left over fish food). As for their usefulness at controlling algae - I'm less convinced on that score.

A combo of flourish excel and Siamese algae eaters (more commonly called black line flying foxes here) is my preferred method of controlling beard/thread algae. The excel gives you that initial 'knock it on the head' control, with the BLFF's giving ongoing control.

Black line flying foxes and siamese algae eaters are not the same fish.

They seem to be sold as such though. The last set I got were clearly labeled on the tank as black line flying foxes, even though they definitely weren't. This was a reputable fish shop too.

If anyone's planning on buying some I'd recommend you swot up on spotting a true SAE in a tank - barbels, black line, fins, etc.

Black line flying foxes and siamese algae eaters are not the same fish.

I know there are a number of fish (I think 3) that get called blackline flying foxes here in NZ - one of which is Crossocheilus saimensis. I've never seen an SAE actually labelled as such in any of the NZ shops I've visited (but then I haven't visted all the shops - yet :) ), they've always been labelled as a blackline flying fox. The other fish commonly referred to as a black line flying fox is Epalzeorhynchos kalopterus, (the third type I haven't seen for sale for ages and can't remember much about it).

This naming makes it difficult for people in a couple of ways - they get told that SAE's are great - but they can't find a fish labelled that in the shop, or alternatively they get told about black line flying foxes and they end up getting something that is not Crossocheilus saimensis.

The main thing I look for to distinguish between a SAE and E. kalopterus is the fins - in an SAE all of the fins should be colourless (apart from the blackline possibly extending into the tail), also E. kalopterus has a much more distinct gold line on top of the dark central stripe, whereas SAE only has a faint indication of a gold line.

A true Black Line Flying Fox should have the line on it's body extend right through the Tail.

I had 3 of these fellas, fantastic for keeping Algae at bay.

I sometimes wonder if some of the Pet Shops actually know what they're selling, I've told the petshop here, that a Fish they have labelled as something is actually something else.