The Known Universe

Deepsound

Found this vid.

"This film shows the known universe as mapped through astronomical observations. Every satellite, moon, planet, star and galaxy is represented to scale and in its correct, measured location according to the best scientific research-to-date."

Just awesome :o

When we see how incredibly small is our planet, it should make us thinking...

There's another pic called "The pale blue dot" that just blows me away...

PaleBlueDot.jpg

You see that little insignificant blue dot, just like a dust ? Actually, it's a our planet Earth taken in 1990 by Voyager 1 spacecraft from 6.1 billion kilometres. All the oceans, all the seas, all the mountains, the plants, the animals from the smaller to the bigger, all the human kind, all our history and by the way, all our stupid wars are on this pale blue dot surrounded by... by what ? We don't even really know :o

I read more infos about this pic here :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale_Blue_Dot

I got to go to sleep... ;)

It's 3:40 am on this side of the blue dot :lol:

There's another pic called "The pale blue dot" that just blows me away...

PaleBlueDot.jpg

You see that little insignificant blue dot, just like a dust ? Actually, it's a our planet Earth taken in 1990 by Voyager 1 spacecraft from 6.1 billion kilometres. All the oceans, all the seas, all the mountains, the plants, the animals from the smaller to the bigger, all the human kind, all our history and by the way, all our stupid wars are on this pale blue dot surrounded by... by what ? We don't even really know :o

I read more infos about this pic here :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale_Blue_Dot

I got to go to sleep... ;)

It's 3:40 am on this side of the blue dot :lol:

I see a reddish dot. On futher examination I'm assuming you copied the picture to add the arrow and then saved it? It would appear that our planet is so inconsequential to have been eliminated from existence by a compression artifact.

Here's the original

Pale_Blue_Dot.png

• 2 weeks later...
I'd assume water and air volume.
Yes.

Incredible, isn't it ?... :o

I would have never believe it was so tiny.

With such an image, we can better imagine human impact on it.

We use to consider oceans and atmosphere as huge endless garbage cans.

Big but not so huge...

"Left: all the water in the world (1.4087 billion cubic kilometres of it) including sea water, ice, lakes, rivers, ground water, clouds, etc. Right: All the air in the atmosphere (5140 trillion tonnes of it) gathered into a ball at sea-level density. Shown on the same scale as the Earth."

More infos here (including calculations cause it's not just a drawing):

- http://blog.phiffer.org/post/27344630/left-all-the-water-in-the-world-1-4087-billion