8ft Birchir Tank log. Updated 21/12/2010

Nymox

Sharks grow averagely I think, cichlids have been the fastest in my experience...... probably should be about 15cm+ if going with that size ornate, sharks require a good amount of space - seen livingarts one, when he had it, was biggest i have seen at 30cm-40cm.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sharks grow averagely I think, cichlids have been the fastest in my experience...... probably should be about 15cm+ if going with that size ornate, sharks require a good amount of space - seen livingarts one, when he had it, was biggest i have seen at 30cm-40cm.

These are L.A's ones :D

I just think they would look even more impressive with another 5 and there's easily enough space for that. Been doing alot of work on the tank in the last week as far as hardscaping and planting pics to come over the next few days. Having alot of hiding places and cover has really changed the tank, all the birchirs and catfish seem a lot happier. I planted about 40 stems in the other day, next morning all floating lol, stems might not be the go in there, swords and crypts with some anubus and java fern on the driftwood, swords and crypts stay planted as does the tiger lotus. Might try some dwarf sag too.

Things have been going well, wow can this tank put some food away. Still slowly adding plants as my smaller tanks grow them out, that hideous pipe towards the back is connected to a canister filter Im using to polish the water, not a long term feature.

Plan to add some different tubes in, I like the 15000k tricolour with the 6500k, seems to be a good combination.

Oh that one LA, didnt think you'd sell him...plecos poop way too much compared to other cats :o :lol: considered an aro for the tank?

I've thought about an Aro, I really liked the black Aro they had at the fishbowl in Hamilton. But I decided on getting the bala school larger and 2 geo suri pairs.

Anyways the pics, sorry they are so grainy, camera doesnt like the lighting in that room much.

DSCF0525.jpg

DSCF0522.jpg

DSCF0519.jpg

DSCF0517.jpg

DSCF0515.jpg

Cheers :D

Looked into the lighting more today, I need to replace 3 tubes they are 3350k

Switched on Gardener has 4 foot 15000k t8 tubes for $34

Mitre 10 Mega didnt know what lumens were or T8 for that matter (after school staff :roll: )

Anyone know a retail store that sells them cheaper then SOG?

I've looked on TM but theres nothing local.

Dont know really any good lighting places, should look even better with stronger lights.. hmm need that for mine too :roll: Right side looks good, but something seems a little lacking on the left? maybe a really long piece of wood with various vegetation extending to the other side might be a good way to draw your vision across the tank?

could you get some pics of the del and the sens up if poss? :wink: :roll: addicted much

Dont know really any good lighting places, should look even better with stronger lights.. hmm need that for mine too :roll: Right side looks good, but something seems a little lacking on the left? maybe a really long piece of wood with various vegetation extending to the other side might be a good way to draw your vision across the tank?

could you get some pics of the del and the sens up if poss? :wink: :roll: addicted much

Yeah it needs more plants all through it IMO but I love to sea tanks flooded with lush green plants. Im hoping that the windelov and anubis will cover those bits of wood.

Tried getting ya pics, Not easy when they are all hiding. But here ya go, 1 dehezi, 2 ornates and 2 senegals all in the same pic.

DSCF0558.jpg

Wicked, more if you can 8) yes im greedy. Have you noticed btw that the delhezis sometimes have different shapes? I have 2 dels and the difference is huge, check them out when you come over. 1 is like yours and fairly solid, has more of a paddle shaped caudal fin and fatter head. the other one is much slimmer, elongated, flowing fins and flatter head? Any ideas?

Wicked, more if you can 8) yes im greedy. Have you noticed btw that the delhezis sometimes have different shapes? I have 2 dels and the difference is huge, check them out when you come over. 1 is like yours and fairly solid, has more of a paddle shaped caudal fin and fatter head. the other one is much slimmer, elongated, flowing fins and flatter head? Any ideas?

I cant remember exactly but I think thats one of the ways to sex them. I think the fatter ones with the more paddle shaped caudal is the female. The female ornate is certainly a lot more solid then the males and the caudal fins are different too, I cant imagine the delhezi's being too different, I'd been thinking that del in my tank is a female but I havnt seen any more that size to compare.

There is some info here about how to tell what the fluro tubes are:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32844

Thanks Zev its a good read, it still hasnt sunk in so im glad you linked that. I'll be picking up some new tubes next week I cant wait to try get the plants cranking. If I can get the lighting high enough I may even try getting some HG or Glosso to take off in there. Green green green!

Only 1 plant floating this morning!!!! Im slowly winning. Plenty of gravel depth so a week or so and they should be well rooted.

The male ornates look to have had a fight, one dorsal ray missing on the smallest one, and the female has a tiny wound near her caudal fins, shes also very fat and the smallest male is always right on top of her, might be some action to come within the next week or so. Poor Bertie seems to have lost the mating rights and has his own territory down the other end of the tank now.

The male ornates look to have had a fight, one dorsal ray missing on the smallest one, and the female has a tiny wound near her caudal fins, shes also very fat and the smallest male is always right on top of her, might be some action to come within the next week or so. Poor Bertie seems to have lost the mating rights and has his own territory down the other end of the tank now.

:roll:

bigfish.gif

Geophagus Surinamensis settled in well, very pretty fish. I cant wait for them to colour up a little more, Found they had dug a pit this morning just under where that photo was taken, Ill keep conditioning them on gut loaded fresh water shrimp and see how we go.

Rearranging the driftwood tonight, taking time to do without disturbing things too much, I found the culprit for the wounding, its the vermiculated syno, hes hitting everything that goes past him, so Im moving his territory down the far end out of everyones way I hope that will chill him out, otherwise he'll have to go, which is a shame coz I love synos and hes a real beauty.

Heres a pic of the Geos after they got in last night, Will add more pics tomorrow after I've done rearranging everything and let you all know how it went with the syno, provided my internet doesnt go down again.

DSCF0818.jpg

Yes the glass is dirty :oops: I guess I'll see you soon P44 :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Been a bit since I updated.

Lost a shark :( I dont know why, looked healthy was just sitting on the bottom. Cut her up for a look inside to see if it was anything that could harm the other fish, she was full, I mean absolutely full of eggs, otherwise very healthy looking although Im not expert.

Had a 4 days whitespot about 2 weeks prior to loosing her, only the Geophagus were effected though, and it soon cleared up with plenty of water changes. Might have also been a cause as I was did a water change on the 4 ft tank the same day and lost a lancelot whiptail too :(

Im winning with the plants, some hygrophilla is growing great and so are the borneo swords. One of the Borneo swords seems to be flowering or something, It might not be a borneo sword either but came in the bunches I got.

Here is the plant with the part that looks like it might flower. Sorry for the reflections in the images its a bad time of the day to be trying to get pics in there. The leaves that surround the bud like thing have turned almost white.

DSCF1082.jpg

DSCF1072.jpg

A Geo, love these guys they look great.

DSCF1080.jpg