Thermometers; what does everyone use???

David R

Stick on ones? Digital? Floating glass ones? Best bang for bucks? etc etc

I haven't bothered keeping much of an eye on my tanks temps over the years ( :oops: ), always just trusted the heaters thermostats. I want to get something accurate for the big tank to make sure the heaters are keeping up, looking for suggestions...

Ive tested lots. simultaneously too.

I found the $60 marina aquaminder to be a few degrees out from all the others, which was disappointing.

I like digitals with probes that run into the tank, and they are easiest to read at a glance IMO.

I have a bunch that look basically like this:

Y5007.JPG

I've tested a couple and they're all within a few tenths of each other. I also made an ice/water slush which should have a temperature of 0°c and tested two of them, both read about .1-.2° So, accurate enough for me.:)

I don't think you can get them here anymore though.

I have an electronic digital thermometer that is accurate to 0.1 degrees C. and it is the only test kit I have used for years. Good for checking fish tanks, incubators, enclosures etc. It is the same model we used for years testing fridges, freezers and dishwashing machines and when I had the chance to get one at staff rates through a friend I was into it big time.

I have an electronic digital thermometer that is accurate to 0.1 degrees C. and it is the only test kit I have used for years. Good for checking fish tanks, incubators, enclosures etc. It is the same model we used for years testing fridges, freezers and dishwashing machines and when I had the chance to get one at staff rates through a friend I was into it big time.

but how much would a really decent digital like that cost to joe on the street?

all this talk of themometers reminded me to check my temp. its down to 21! somethings not right!

how thick is your glass?

I have four tanks from 20L to 160L.

The two aquaone tanks have thickish glass compared to the other two . One has a Jager heater and the other an aquaone heater. The Jager heater does a superior job at keeping it at the designated temperature but both tanks stay within 1oC.

My other two smaller tanks are a blue planet and splishsplash with thin glass.. these are the tanks where I see the greatest fluctuations. At night I wrap a blanket around the sides of the blue planet to prevent heat loss, and the splish splash I drape a trowel over top because the lid has a gap for the HOB filter and heater cables. This seems to keep the temperatures stable on cold nights. If I forget to do it, they are always 1-3oC lower in the morning during winter.

I have a bunch that look basically like this

I don't think you can get them here anymore though.

Got one like that from Dick Smith a while back for my glasshouse, it measures the temperature at the proble on the end of a long wire and at the actual thermometer part eh? Hadn't even thought of that!

Digital, got one you can grab off me next week David(for free, just needs a new bat).

Cheers, I need three though, maybe four, and would like to get them all the same model so they're at least all consistent(ly wrong!)

I have one like Ira's as well but the battery died a long time ago. They were about $9.95 on special at Dick Smith's. I use a large (so I can read it easily) glass thermometer 30cm long and as thick as a syphon hose.

Grant also has an electronic thermometer but he usually has it with him in the work vehicle and he is never here when I want to check the temperature of the tank! :roll:

I have one like Ira's as well but the battery died a long time ago.

You know they make replacement batteries...:P

Got one like that from Dick Smith a while back for my glasshouse, it measures the temperature at the proble on the end of a long wire and at the actual thermometer part eh? Hadn't even thought of that!

The ones I have are specifically for aquariums. They have alarm settings if the temp goes out of range, tropical 24-28c or discus 28-32c. They were great, like Caryl said only about $10. I don't think Dick Smith has sold them for 5 years or more though.