Rainbow skinks now unwanted organism

I received this communication from the Regional Council today indicating that biosecurity have declared rainbow skinks an unwanted organism as they feel they will out compete the natives.

7 July 2010

To whom it may concern,

Following a recommendation from the Department of Conservation, MAF Biosecurity

New Zealand has declared rainbow skink (Lampropholis delicata) as an Unwanted

Organism (UO) under the Biosecurity Act 1993, effective as of 7 July 2010. The

declaration is based on the risk posed to native lizards from competition for resources

with this invasive Australian skink.

Following changes to the Wildlife Act schedules, which come into effect on 8 July 2010,

rainbow skinks are no longer a protected species. However, the UO declaration

continues the restriction on the trade of this species – it remains illegal to sell rainbow

skinks in New Zealand. Furthermore, under sections 52 and 53 of the Biosecurity Act, it

is illegal to knowingly communicate (move); release, or cause to be released; spread; sell,

or offer for sale; exhibit; or breed rainbow skinks without the explicit permission of a

Chief Technical Officer.

This UO declaration will support a broader programme of work aimed at slowing or

preventing the spread of rainbow skink into the South Island, where they are not known

to be present. More details on this work, to be led by DOC in partnership with

MAFBNZ and others, will follow in the coming months

It is important to note that a UO declaration does not obligate any agency to respond or

control rainbow skinks in any region. However, it does allow them access to a range of

powers under the Biosecurity Act, should they wish to take action.

For more information on this UO declaration for rainbow skinks or the communications

programme, please contact Phil Bell (Senior Technical Support Officer (Biosecurity),

Department of Conservation) at [email protected] or Erik van Eyndhoven (Principal

Advisor Conservation, MAFBNZ) at [email protected].

Yours sincerely,

Jeff Flavell Andrew Harrison

Acting General Manager Manager

Research and Development Group Pest Management Group

Department of Conservation MAF Biosecurity New Zealand

gee do you think they would do as much damage as domestic cats?

I would have thought they would have kept them as a protected species considering we now have protected rats!

wonder how long until beardies, w/dragons, litoria frogs and leopard gecko go the same way

I didn't know rainbow skinks were protected in the first place!

When my daughter went through her lizard stage, that was the only one I allowed her to keep as I believed we didn't have to have a DOC permit since they weren't NZ natives.

I think they already are in Auckland.

nope you are just not able to buy them in Auckland,you can buy them from say Tauronga and bring them in though.

i talked to the Bio security guy about reptiles,he said he has heard of no law about this :-z

If there is a restriction on the keeping of plants or animals in a local area it will be a requirement of the or more than one Regional Council so give them a ring and find out what the actual story is. In the case of the rainbows this is a Maf restriction and will apply to the whole of NZ---even though they are not known to be in the South Island. As stated in their letter, it will give resources and advice to regions that may feel they have a big enough problem with them to do something about it.

so if i found won would i be able to keep it?

or do i need a permit?

probably not allowed to keep. You'd need a permit I guess.

If you ended up with a pregnant female and she laid eggs.. you could be done for breeding!

gee do you think they would do as much damage as domestic cats?

I would have thought they would have kept them as a protected species considering we now have protected rats!

wonder how long until beardies, w/dragons, litoria frogs and leopard gecko go the same way

^ the truth. How they can justify banning ferrets as pets outright while leaving cats free to roam is beyond me. Its easier to pick on the minorities I guess. Perhaps we need to be more vocal like other minorities to get preferential treatment? :lol:

It just shows the reality of life. I remember being at a health conference where a member of the then National Government had given a lecture on how proud he was that they had allowed cats into food premises. The President was a professor of public health at Massey University and proceeded to list for about 20 minutes the diseases that cats could spread to humans and then finished by saying "and they are the diseases from cats do we have time to add the diseases that they are likely to pick up from chasing mice?" It is my belief (and I will risk being excommunicated here) That there is nothing cuddly or good about native bird destroying cats that are allowed to spend all night roaming and killing. This is a natural instinct for cats to hunt and feral cats have been shown on many occasions to be very good at feeding on native fauna. Who would want to be the politician that banned cats. I also dislike stepping in what they leave behind all over our garden. If your dog roams you get into major trouble and I think it should be the same for cats. Ferets are probably not any worse than cats but are a lot easier to get at politically.

probably not allowed to keep. You'd need a permit I guess.

If you ended up with a pregnant female and she laid eggs.. you could be done for breeding!

However, the UO declaration

continues the restriction on the trade of this species – it remains illegal to sell rainbow

skinks in New Zealand. Furthermore, under sections 52 and 53 of the Biosecurity Act, it

is illegal to knowingly communicate (move); release, or cause to be released; spread; sell,

or offer for sale; exhibit; or breed rainbow skinks without the explicit permission of a

Chief Technical Officer.

"Furthermore, under sections 52 and 53 of the Biosecurity Act, it

Chief Technical Officer."

As it says here you can not keep, breed or sell them etc....