Have You Ever Found Fry in Your Filter?!

tukituki

We breed GBA's and normal bristlenose too and have never had any problems with fry in unusual places until yesterday. I was giving them a feed and was looking through the glass of the tank when I saw quite a few of the newly hatched fry on the inside of our eheim cannister filter. I couldn't quite believe my eyes, i think they must have gone in there and would find it hard to get back out. There was quite a few in there, nearly all still alive but 2 didn't make it. I've no idea how long they've been in there - hours or days. Has any one ever experienced this before?

i used to get african fry regularly in the canisters, some would have been in there for as long as 4 weeks i suspect as they were discovered at a muuch larger size than could fit through the "strainer" on teh end of the inlet pipe. as long as the filter is sucking enough food in to feed them they will be fine & there is no chance of the adults eating them. so it's not a bad "grow out tank" :)

Seems like a common theme with BN fry lol.

Pleased I am not the only one, I used to find heaps of them every time I cleaned the filter out.

i've never found any and i am not intending to have any poor fishies in my filter.Clean it out every week then PRESTO! no fish in the filter!

i've never found any and i am not intending to have any poor fishies in my filter.Clean it out every week then PRESTO! no fish in the filter!

it's not an issue, with the CF canisters anyway as they just swim around in the "tank" in the bottom.

Cleaning your filter once a week will not stop fry getting into it. It just means you will get them out again faster :wink:

And probably wasting your time :) Unless you have a really really messy tank there is no need to clean out filters once a week, if anything it might even be harmful to your good bacteria to disturb them all the time..

I have found all sorts of fry alive in my filters guppies, jullies, bristle noses, platties etc. It is not good when the strainer end falls off and they ingest a fish that is just big enough to block off the pipes where they go into the filter it is quite hard to get out again :(

Yip, baby BN's in filter (Ehiem canister) all the time. Now use a small block of foam over the intake (easy to swap for new block of foam, and keeps canister going longer) BTW: Baby BN's are some of the toughest critters around. I also have a home made (glass) internal filter that is totally open at the top so all the fish can climb in a pick away at the foam. Very simple idea, and can post a pic if anyone is interested.

Baby BN will naturally look for a dark 'cave' to hide in and a nice dark filter is just perfect for them.

My tanks run through a sump system with 6-8 tanks all plumbed together and i regularly find baby BN and baby cory's that have gone thru their tank overflow, down the plumbing into the sump through the filter boxes been sucked into the sump pump and then up the plumbing into one of the other tanks.

Yip, baby BN's in filter (Ehiem canister) all the time. Now use a small block of foam over the intake (easy to swap for new block of foam, and keeps canister going longer) BTW: Baby BN's are some of the toughest critters around. I also have a home made (glass) internal filter that is totally open at the top so all the fish can climb in a pick away at the foam. Very simple idea, and can post a pic if anyone is interested.

I'm interested