New reptile enclosures!

Hi there,

they look good

Can I ask do you have double mesh on the meshed walls

and why have you got the shade cloth?

Also does you glass slide?

and what do they sit on?

Good luck with the permit and things..lol

Only single mesh as i bought it from a gardening place which this shadecloth is extra strong and made for greenhouses.

No glass in it?

Haven't decided what they sit on but it has a 7mm plywood top and base.

Thanks!!!!

hard to see from the photos but is the shade cloth on the inside and the large mesh on the outside? The two types of mesh should have an approx gap of 25mm between them to make them predator proof, also on most native enclosures an aluminium or s/steel mesh is usually used as the inside mesh.

do nz natives eat mealworms????

Doubt it, mine wouldnt even touch the beetles for some reason.

You really need to use a stainless steel fly mesh. Not sure why you have used shade cloth, it may cause them to be colder and slower for longer. Mine used to love basking in the sun.

I would definately lose the shade cloth and go small mesh inside with larger mesh on the outside.

- shade cloth can be ripped, will hold moisture in winter creating a colder enclosure and will create shade.

- would recommend one side solid ply - for wind shelter, and the other three double mesh or one with glass for viewing.

also what doors do you have for feeding (small) and large (changing plants,cleaning or catching the gecko)?

if you are making 10 better getit right now aye?

have you joined the NZHS herp society?

yeah i had those shaded ones as a lid once anything can rip them and the wear and tear so a gecko or skink could get out after a while and it needs to be double meshed to keep predators out

no,these have been triple weaved unlike most,

trust me the doc guy said its fine.

I find it disconcerting that DOC should encourage 12 yr old boys to build 10 reptile enclosures and issue permits for same?Nothing against 12yr olds getting into the hobby, but we have to start somewhere and should be prepared to learn as we go and increase the numbers of species as our competence and experience grows.

I take it you know you can`t get your reptiles from the wild, permit or not and are limited to what you can swap or beg from other licenced keepers?

i find it disconcerting that DOC should encourage 12 yr old boys to build 10 reptile enclosures and issue permits for same?Nothing against 12yr olds getting into the hobby but we have to start somewhere and should be prepared to learn as we go and increase the numbers of species as our competence and experience grows.

I take it you know you can`t get your reptiles from the wild permit or not and are limited to what you can swap or beg from other licenced keepers?

I was on the nzhs and arn't DoC and them thinking about commercially selling geckos?