President Air Pumps

malevolentsparkle

hay, I have an old president 6000 air pump lying around and thought Id use it in my aquarium to run a box filter with peat in it. But even though it makes all the right noises, etc i'm getting no air flow. anyone know if you can still get parts for these? I assume it's the diaphrams, maybe another brand will fit?

You might be out of luck then :( I have a few president pumps here that used to work well but diaphragms wore out as well.. I did hold out hope of fixing them one day..

Sometimes when these guys go under someone else starts making parts for them? Or (as you have suggested) another brand might fit, I would take the diaphragm out and take it to a petshop, I know a few of the shops have a "junk" or treasure stash somewhere with all sorts of random bits you might be able to match it up with something. Or ask the shop if they know if there are replacements?

• 13 years later...
On 7/5/2010 at 2:49 PM, malevolentsparkle said:

hay, I have an old president 6000 air pump lying around and thought Id use it in my aquarium to run a box filter with peat in it. But even though it makes all the right noises, etc i'm getting no air flow. anyone know if you can still get parts for these? I assume it's the diaphrams, maybe another brand will fit?

So do I as I found one in my garage. Got to get it tested first though, which pet shops should be able to do.

IMG_20231125_163407.jpg

Like livingart, I would say it is not worth much, if anything. It would probably be cheaper to replace than try and find parts or repair. I either have one myself, in my box of spare aquarium bits, or I biffed it long ago.

You should be able to test it yourself as there is little to go wrong in them. Either it goes well, goes but not well, or doesn't go at all. If it goes well, give it to someone starting out but warn them it may not last much longer. If it goes, but not well, it is likely to be stuffed diaphragms and you can tell by looking at them. They will have disintegrated or have holes in them, especially along the creases. If it doesn't go at all, biff it.

If they couldn't find the parts for them 13 years ago, you're not likely to do so now.