Turtle and fish"

Jaxxnz

Hi guy i saw some nice turtle at pet shop the other day, :o

Just wondering if turtle can be keep in tank with tropical fish?

i imagine it will be so cool seeing fish swimming together with turtles...

fish are easy to pick up disease and i dont know much about the care of turtles..

Could any members help me out on this one? :bow:

Not recommended, unless you want your fish to be turtle tucker. Also, they have completely different needs in terms of tanks - Turtles need a proper bathing area, shouldn't have gravel, will eat any live plants.

A large plec in with turtles seems to be ok though.

I was thinking buying Dee 6ft with big cichlid fish put together with small turtles from pet shop..

I am concerning about the disease between fish and turtles..?

hey what this non gravel bathing things..? tank filteration would take care of all waste from fish and turtles dont they..?

OMG iam digging into trouble here dont i.. :x

yes, big trouble.

A big turtle killer is from accidentally eating gravel and having it get stuck in their gut. Also turtles are territorial so it's not that great an idea to have 2 in a tank. Yes, they start small but they will grow fast. What will you do when they're a year or 2 older?

The turtles will bite the fish fins too, even if they are smaller.

Just don't do it >_>

http://www.totallytanked.co.nz/redear/ Here is a RES turtle care sheet, written by members of this site if you want to have pet turtles in a proper, healthy setup.

A 6ft would probably be too small for turtles and cichlids anyway. Remember, turtles need a basking ramp so you'd only be able to have the tank about 2/3 full, taking away lots of the fish's space. + having a glass lid on a turtle tank isn't very good, it causes condensation which stops them from fully drying out. They need to dry out to keep their shells healthy and in good condition.

If you really want a turtle your best to focus on that..Then just add some fish as feeders. that way you dont mind if they get eaten..Good chance a few will survive especially if they have a place to hide and you keep the turtle well fed. But then again one day mr turtle will very likely conquer all :D

Guppies are good feeder fish, convict cichlids are pretty hardy and fast. I even had convicts breeding in my turtle setup many years ago.

I actually think turtle tanks are rather boring so a few fish adds to it and lets face it theyre probably the best food you can get...goldfish are great feeders and will survive tropical temps for a while...they just get a bit speedy :lol:

i had a small convict in with my RES turtle. convict was about 4cm long, turtle 15cm.

the only thing in the tank was heater. filter and a small ordament that the fish could hide in. one day i noticed that the convict was missing a bit fron its dorsal fin then while i was looking in the tank the turtle had the convict cornered, until the convict turned around, stood its ground then gave the turtle a little bite, then the turtle left it alone ever since apart from the odd quick try.

• 8 months later...

I've kept my turtle with a 3 spot gourami about 2 inches long for a couple of months now, He helps cleanup the mess the turtle makes while eating. Turtle seems to ignore the gourami as if it's not even there most of the time. He has however munched up a couple of pleco's, a swordtail and a loach. I think if you started keeping your turtle with fish since it was young, and keep it well fed then it could possibly live with fish.. untill it gets hungry enough