Long Term Lead

Nymox

Copying from another post that is going at the same time:

There is quite a lot of research about the detrimental effects of lead fishing weights on the health of aquatic species. Lead poisoning is cumulative (builds up over time) and some of the first effects are behavioural/mental/cognitive.

Would you be able to tell if your fish was starting to go a bit nutty?

define long term :lol:

we use..what lead 202? that's a half life of 53000 years?

All heavy metals carry the risk of poisoning because they don't leave the organic bodies and finally can cause cancers, tumours etc etc.

The risk of your fish tank fish being negatively affected by a stable form of lead, not by ingestion of the metal but because it some how misbehaved and dissolved in water is NIL in my opinion.

especially with all the water changes that we tend to do.

Ok well what I gather it there should be no problem using it in tanks that have fish with shorter life spans, but to be careful Ill avoid it in tanks that have fish that live a while longer. The Bala sharks are already nuts enough without behavioural/mental/cognitive problems.

[quote name=livingart]i saw a fish die of lead poisoning

it involved a large rainbow trout and a 303 :D

I remember when I went for my firearms license the officer showed us a rifle with a barrel split like a lily flower, he asked us how much water we thought had caused this to happen, someone said one drop - he said try a whole river, the guy had tried to shoot a fish with it by sticking the barrel in the water to get it closer to the fish.

:D

All metals have an oxide on their surface, a very thin shell around a bulk metal body. Dissolution and corrosion occur at this interface. Depending on what ions and acid conditions the metal will dissolve via the oxide or via the bare metal if the oxide have been compromised (oxides are a passivating layer - stopping corrosion).

In truth, there is such a small amount of lead corroding at a very slow rate, and regular water changes should help keep the levels low but a tank is an otherwise closed environment and the living body cannot excrete lead so any contamination just accumulates, however slowly that might be. Regardless, there is quite a it of research out there debating the detrimental effects of lead poisoning in wild aquatic species due to lead deposits from lost fishing weights, bullets, paint, etc. Remember the Siamese fighters ill from being kept in lead crystal bowls?

Lead is pretty insoluble and that is why it has been used as flashings on roofs for such a long time. Idon't know about fish but humans can excrete lead but only at a very slow rate. It becomes toxic when we absorb more than we can excrete. I never leave the lead on the plants as it chokes the roots.

When lead metal is exposed to air it forms an oxide compound which is more soluble in water (hence my previous post). That was the problem with old houses with lead solder and lead pipe which leached into the water supply and made people sick.

I just did a search for a good link. If anyone has any further questions about lead in water, this should help: http://www.lenntech.com/periodic/water/ ... -water.htm

As far as lead poisoning goes im not concerned, thanks for all the help. Now, as for an alternative, I pulled up a few plants last night that I had weighed down with lead, and they were very choked. Im wondering if there is another way to keep them on the bottom long enough for the roots to be well established. Birchirs, specially the bigger ones dont dig but they go blundering through everything and unless its well rooted its floating by morning. I thought about trying something like clay, cover the roots and chuck a stone in.

Ill give that another try but the ornates will just power through held down by rock or not, I kind of need something that allows them to move but stay sunken. The other thing is I cant really get my hand to the bottom of the tank, at least deep enough and delicately enough to plant. Damn huge tank, maybe I should just get plastic plants (EW!)

hahaha yeah I remember that one it was a classic.

What is clay like in tanks? Im wondering if I can squish clay around the roots, stick some of the sand to it so it looks the part and drop em in. I wonder if it would stay together though.

Probably not with bulldozer fish, then it would make the water cloudy.

What sort of plants we talking about, you may be better off with java fern and anubias tied onto driftwood rather than trying to plant things.

How deep is your substrate - what about putting plants in little terracotta pots, I have crypts like this in my hillstream setup and in bare bottom tanks.