breeding discus ?

henward

Discus fry will feed off the 'milk' on their parents sides. They will eat hatched brine shrimp because the movement of the live shrimp attracts them. Both live baby brine shrimp and decapsulated brine shrimp will pollute the water if left and therefore the water changes need to be daily and total when the discus are young if you want the best growth rates and health from your young fish. Decapsulated brine shrimp will not hatch. :D

ahh i see i see.

cool thanks for that.

so in theory though - they may eat pellets IF you acn somehow get it as small as the eggs?

though i decided to go wtih eggs and decaps eggs, easy enough to get.

ill look at hatching systems and see how its done.

I often have too much to use so leftovers are just left in the jar of freshwater overnight in a cool place. In the morning the vast majority are still alive and I sometimes decide to just feed them out as normal. The fish eat them no problem.

yeah

sounds like they live for at least 3 hrs

if i put a bunch before i leave for work, they should be eaten and some eaten through out the day.

then i can put more feedings when i get home.

i think i will have it sussed.

will jsut need to set them up

before the breeding tanks get set up, an investment in insulation will need be made first!

In my experience I also feed the live bbs as soon as they hatch, but I would put the left overs in a cup into the fridge. This was because I would harvest them from the setup at the lab in uni so I didn't have a running hatchery at home. The bbs placed in the fridge would die in a few hours but because its cold, they would not rot for about 1-2 days. You can tell from their smell the minute they start rotting...

Anyways, the fry would take to the dead bbs shrimp from the fridge just as well. Since you plan to run a hatchery anyways, I would freeze your left over bbs because you never know, a batch might fail one night and you wont' have food the next day so its a good backup. I feed decap currently and it works as well but you need to pre-soak it for about 10 minutes because it expands...i wouldn't recommend putting it into an autofeeder.

Another thing you might want to consider is that light coloured and albino discus have a harder time raising fry because they don't have a lot or any dark pigments. When the fry become free-swimming they are attracted to dark shapes...Thus these parents might have a hard time keeping the fry from spreading around the tank and even going towards your other discus. I think you really need to place your pair in a seperate tank (with no dark objects or background in it) with the fry so that they have the best chance.

yes, will do, and keep that in mind.

bbs is my way to go now, i am gonna visit a member here kindaly gave me his details to see his set ups so i can mimic them, easier if i see it in action:D

i am ordering massive sheets of poly next week and insulate my fish room aka garage.

i think that willr educe power bill, the garage was 13c, outside was 4to 5 degrees, the tanks were low to 25 to 26 degrees, not the 28 to 30 i aim for.