Do you want to give back?

Jennifer

As some of you know, there is a qualification called the National Certificate in Animal Care. it is an NZQA approved qualification and as such there are unit standards that outline what competencies the students are required to have in order to graduate. One of these competencies is the care of reptiles and amphibians. In the qualification there is a unit called Monitor health and provide husbandry for reptiles and amphibians (unit standard 21383). If you want to read the unit standard, go to the following website: http://www.nzqa.govt.nz/framework/ enter the unit standard number into the search framework box.

As you can see, for students wanting to learn about how to care for these species, they must work in an animal facility and be assessed on their competency with caring for real animals. This is great for the reptile and amphibian community because more people are becoming educated in proper care of these species but as you can imagine, there are a number of students who want to learn these skills and far too few facilities willing to host them so they can learn.

I am sure that some of you have had contact with some of these students, and as you may have found out, there are variations in individual capabilities and suitability for the tasks. However, every time that we send a student out with a great deal of competence in these areas, we are increasing the overall knowledge in the community and this will have long ranging benefits both to the health and strength of the aquatics/reptile community and by increasing the market not only for the animals we produce locally but by creating demand for more imported species.

As such, I do hope that you might consider putting your hand forward to teach a student in your facility. The time commitment will be minimal, perhaps a handful of days all year and the students should be prepared to work in exchange for the time you offer them in instruction so there should be some give and take.

If you are interested, please contact me on [email protected]

I know I learned a lot listening to DonnaM's talk about her turtle rescue and rehoming and was horrified to hear a lot of information given to new turtle owners is not only wrong, but harmful to their health :(

Yes I heard that the talking was incredibly educational (Wok). Did anyone video it?

A couple of us are hosting students here in Christchurch but there are a few students in Wellington who are desperate to find a place where they can get some hands on experience caring for reptiles and amphibians.

I should clarify that these are almost exclusively a group of girls who are studying to become veterinary nurses. Many of them know little or nothing about reptiles but one day may be required to give advice at a clinic so it is vital that they learn from experienced keepers.

Please help if you can. This could have a long ranging impact on the reptile community.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Jennifer.

Im currently doing this course in chch through otago and have already done my reptiles and amphibians, would just like to report that since starting this course I had an intrest in reptiles, but it has been steadily increasing and I am now setting up to breed water dragons. I am currently struggling to find any stock at this stage, but I would like to thank you Jennifer as I found your info and knowledge on reptiles really helpfull and extreemly encouraging!!!

That's great to hear. ;)

Unfortunately, as you know, a large majority of students in the fish and reptile units have struggled to find work experience placements and this has meant that the future of these units is in jeopardy and we may see that these units are not offered in this qualification anymore. It is a very disappointing outcome for the future of reptiles seen in vet clinics around the country. It is also a shame that people like yourself may miss out on discovering what great pets these animals can be.

I was lucky that I have a good friend in a large pet shop so have been getting in early for my placements. I have also offered my own animals, mice and fish to other students who have been struggling to find somewhere.

But for anyone considering letting students in, most of us are very passionate, eager to learn and happy to even do some dirty cleaning work just for some time spent with the animals and the ability to talk to someone with a wider knowledge, not just a salesperson in a petshop! :)