June 7, 201016 yr comment_376206 Hi everyone ! Here's my pond. Actually, it's not the pond itself but the stream I made. It measures about 8 m long. I tried to make it as natural as possible, with sand bed, rocks and plants around and inside. Waterproofed canvas has been used. The stream flows into the pond. I'll post another pics soon Report
June 7, 201016 yr comment_376208 Looks good in the photo's,Bet its much better in reality.Would like to come & see it but think you may be too far away for a quick trip to check it out.Perhaps the wife might want to come on a shopping trip? Pity more people with ponds dont have streams running into them as more natural & you can do alot with them, Safer for kids to play & fall into as well. Keep up the great work Report
June 8, 201016 yr Author comment_376414 Thanks Tambo Here's the stream I made. An Eheim water pump has been used. Report
June 8, 201016 yr comment_376426 I guess you do not live in the middle of the city then? :lol: Report
June 8, 201016 yr Author comment_376433 Hi Caryl I don't live right in Paris (fortunatly) but next to, in the suburbs. It looks like Christchurch, but with much more people (about 7000/km²). I'm not living in the country. There's much more concrete than trees down here But I try to turn my little garden into a "wild" place. Know what ? I even have a treefern which is one of my favourite plant (long before I knew it was a NZ symbol). I wanted to be able to dream in, even if it's the city all around. When i'm strollin' in my garden, I forget the city. I don't use any chemicals. So there's a lot of birds, insects and even frogs Report
June 9, 201016 yr Author comment_376616 The pond where the artificial stream flows into (about 5000 L). It's filled with rainwater fallen on the roof of the house. Filtration only by plants. Report
June 9, 201016 yr Author comment_376617 It was raining cat and dogs this afternoon. Very good water change ! :bounce: Report
June 11, 201016 yr Author comment_376863 Thanks ! I try to create a kind of ecosystem that runs alone. Rainwater from the roof goes in the first pond (about 5000 L - about 3 x 2.5 m) that flows into a second pond (about 10.000 L, 6m long, 1m depth). A water pump takes water from the 2nd pond and send it in the stream. So the stream flows into the first pond in a kind of close circuit. I dug all the stuff with just a showel and a pickaxe. To simplify : Rainwater from roof --> 1st pond --> 2nd pond --> stream --> 1st pond Plants filter the water. When there are too many floating plants, I remove a part of them to make compost. Good organic fertilizer (be green mates ! ). Waterproofed canvas is put down on an old fitted carpet, to prevent holes and rips from roots. @dennisisawesome : inhabitants are goldfish, shubunkin, rhodeus serviceus, tritons and frogs Eggs frogs ! :bounce: Report
June 15, 201016 yr comment_377514 That is incredible. Both the stream and the photography. I am in awe of your skills and dedication. :bounce: Report
June 15, 201016 yr comment_377668 Beautiful. I am really impressed. I love your natural aesthetic. Report
June 22, 201016 yr Author comment_378779 @ Joshlikesfish, Fenriswolf and Jennifer : thanks a lot ! Some pictures right over the surface of the stream Report
November 1, 201015 yr comment_402664 this is great, I love it - bumping it back to the top because it's so cool a French man breeding frogs.... chomp chomp!! Report
November 25, 201015 yr comment_407321 This is awesome. I've been looking at doing something like this in a random patch I have at my property... this is certainly inspiring and encouraging me to give it a go, although my spot wouldn't be as big. Thanks for sharing. Report
December 7, 201015 yr comment_409103 What are you going to do when you move, Marc? he can't move house, if he needs more room he will have to buy the house next door and spread out sideways instead Report
December 7, 201015 yr comment_409117 your stream could be any small forest stream here in nz it looks very natural Report
December 7, 201015 yr comment_409169 your stream could be any small forest stream here in nz it looks very natural /me gets the spotlight out and starts looking for kokopu Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.