June 2, 201016 yr comment_375082 the more attractive a fish the more it can be seen by a predator Report
June 2, 201016 yr comment_375083 http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science_and_environment/10209169.stm I liked the guppies in the picture! But it's my delta tail red tux that performs the sneak matings while my wildtype male tries to show off with his pathetic little tail and does the whole shaking courtship thing. (but he is quite pretty in his own right!) Ohhhh, so that's why I have 3 kids..... :-? you're a fish?? Report
June 5, 201016 yr comment_375766 Fertility can decline with intensive selective breeding and in-breeding. I had a drop off of clutch sizes after a few generations of selective breeding of show quality zebra finches. Report
June 5, 201016 yr comment_375767 Fertility can decline with intensive selective breeding and in-breeding. I had a drop off of clutch sizes after a few generations of selective breeding of show quality zebra finches. That is baaaad news for rednecks and hill-billies. Report
June 6, 201016 yr comment_375954 Inbreeding causes the problem or just bad selection for the inbreeding. You get more if not as many faults in out breeding then inbreeding and while you keep mixing and bringing in more faults by out breeding you should if inbreeding correctly be getting less faults being carried in your strains unless your selection is going towards the faults with your inbreeding then you get what your selection has inbreed to. Nature normally has no problem with inbreeding. Man dose not select for nature. Hahaha Report
June 6, 201016 yr comment_376011 That was interesting and seems to be new information. A few years ago I read a scientific book (came from Otago Uni I think) that had results of various experiments. Its conclusions were that female guppies take far more control over who they mate with than is usually apparent (eg the 'sneaks' don't usually succeed) and that they are usually only carrying offspring from 2 males at a time, sometimes three. Trouble is of course that the colours we like might not be the ones the females guppies like. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.