Opinons Please Canon EOS1000D

supasi

my auntie used to have her own camera shop for many years & also managed a camera house store. she swears by canon over all brands, the one thing i do know she says about buying a second hand canon is be wary of the batteries as they are canon specific battery pack, not standard shaped batteries if you get what i mean.

The battery in our 450D lasts for ages - never checked number wise, but I could use it all weekend and not have to switch to the spare.

Must get some decent batteries for the external flash, though, it is a hungry monster...

• 3 weeks later...

I use a nikon DX2. Most of my fish shots are on 65mm micro nikkor 2.8

As said earlier in this thread

1000D is more than most of us will ever need.

If anything getting better lenses is more important.

I agree.

Good glass is everything. often good cameras are sold with Ok lenses to make the sale when the nxt camera model down with a pro lens will produce better results- especially if your end user is a computer screen.

But if i can add one thing:

The photographer takes the shot-not the camera.

As for the H1 blad- i'm looking at a P30 back for mine. And for a few more bucks more I can convert all my CF Zeis lenses to fit. Great kit but hard yakka to follow focus malawis :o

• 2 weeks later...

you realise that fish are cheap when compared to all the addons that will "need" now?

Filters are by far the most important

I bought a whole lot (29 from memory) on trade me that gives all sorts of effects and that was fun I can tell you

I would also recomend a night school class on DSLR photography so that you will learn what all those little buttons do

Wish I had the time when you were up here to of met up and we could have had a play with some of my stuff... next time eh

you realise that fish are cheap when compared to all the addons that will "need" now?

Filters are by far the most important

I bought a whole lot (29 from memory) on trade me that gives all sorts of effects and that was fun I can tell you

I would also recomend a night school class on DSLR photography so that you will learn what all those little buttons do

Wish I had the time when you were up here to of met up and we could have had a play with some of my stuff... next time eh

LOL, Im one for expensive hobbies. Lol

Lucky I studied Photography when I was younger so most is familier to me and I also own two standard SLR cameras.

:oops:

Whats with the :oops: ??

It will take me a long time t get back into the swing of things though cos it was like 12 years ago since I studied it.

The great thing with the Digital SLR's ar the fact you see results immediately. Unlike film where you had to wait till you could get to the Darkroom again and develop the film and print out a contact sheet to see what you got. It could tke weeks to master a technique whereas with digital its instant. I love it.

Photography is something I have always had an interest in but never took it any further than study in 6th and 7th form at school. I still took photos but never tried t do anything with it. Now that I am getting into it again I am going to make the most of what I can.

Would have loved to have caught up when I was up Barrie. Could have talked fish and photos. LOL

I never realised that you had far greater experiance them I do as I am definatly a beginner

I wouldnt go as far to say that. Everyone starts somewhere. Its just I started years ago and never took it any further. Just because I understand the principal does not mean I am any good. :wink:

• 1 month later...

Well after a long wait my camera finally arrived.

I went out this morning to a local bush reserve and took a few photos.

I like these two

IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg

I have heaps more, but for some reason I have nearly doubled my data cap with telecom even though I have done nothing more than I do most months without coming near my 10gb allowance. Something fishy is going on as I have never hit my data cap before and this month I have not really been online much.

It took me nearly two hours to upload the few that I did.