Ceramic heat lamps

Morcs

Question - how long do these things generally last? Do they wear out like light bulbs or do they need replacing after a certain amount of time?

and im also thinking of changing to a compact UV alongside my heatlamp at the basking end, rather than a 90cm UV tube spanning the entire tank (120 long)

Thoughts?

A compact UV is very directional and localised but would be OK if it covered the basking area/s. Ceramics last longer than normal bulbs and are OK until they stop working as I understand it. I have had a few going for over a year with no problems but seem to be going through lightbulbs for the locusts like they are going out of fashion.

A compact UV is very directional and localised but would be OK if it covered the basking area/s. Ceramics last longer than normal bulbs and are OK until they stop working as I understand it. I have had a few going for over a year with no problems but seem to be going through lightbulbs for the locusts like they are going out of fashion.

Yeah im wondering whether to switch to a compact directly over the basking area rather than the whole enclosure being lit - that way they associate the light with the heat and encourage them to bask more?

A full sized tube is no good if it is too far away.

This is my concern. Look how ive had to mount the heatlamp cage, and look how the light hood sits. not much UV gets onto the basking area probably.

Hence my idea at mounting a compact right next to the heat lamp.

240510009.jpg

Can lizards get UV from computer screens? :lol:

240510001.jpg

I think the UV should be no more than 300mm from the basking area.

Cool, so id better switch to a compact and ill save this light hood for my next bluey enclosure which ill get made at only 300 overall height :)

Thanks Alan

why not just hang the fluro in the tank..

Ceramic emitters are good. Some brands better than others. Elstein seem to last. Good for night time heating but heat pads are cheaper to run and last longer. Only thing i dont like about emitters is you need to be onto it because if it blows its not as obvious as when a bulb does.

why not just hang the fluro in the tank..

Ceramic emitters are good. Some brands better than others. Elstein seem to last. Good for night time heating but heat pads are cheaper to run and last longer. Only thing i dont like about emitters is you need to be onto it because if it blows its not as obvious as when a bulb does.

Its a bit difficult, especially with a glass enclosure. Beyond my skill im afraid.

Just got a glass lid (thanks Barrie) so that should keep some heat in.

How does a heatmat effectively work though with a raised basking area? To use one would i have to ditch the basking tile, and run a heatmat before the astroturf (though she likes going under it) and then just have a compact UV hanging at that end? so instead of having a basking area right under the heat, it would be just a warm end with UV?

Oh and I check my temps daily as the repta thermostat doesnt seem to be perfect.

just need a couple of bits of timber to go across the top of the tank from back to front, or even better a couple of bits of metal pipe or similar. then hang light on that.

if wanting to use a heat mat then yes prob best to get rid of tile platform. glass lid ok but you dont want a warm tank, better off having a warm end and a cool end i think which is easier achieved without a lid. possibly get away with a constant temp through out tank for blue tongues but i opt for a hot end and a cool end (just personal pref)

could stick one of these under your tile platform http://www.trademe.co.nz/Building-renov ... 909333.htm even cheaper from bunnings i think. Need to know how to wire a plug (thermostat aswel is even better) on or get sparky to do so. I would take basking platform out or put that down the other end of tank, they normally go into caves to get away from the sun so having basking above it doesnt make sense to me.

easiest way is just a basking bulb (spotlight)above a rock for heat and a fluro for uv. if temp in house doesnt get below 15C then should'nt need any heating at night time. if it does you want an emitter or heat mat pref on thermostat.

Bah.

Got another edison fitting today, and a 15W compact. all mounted up nicely.

But then i got thinking... this is one for the experts out there...

I want to run my 50w moonlight lamp on a thermostat, 24/7 (for nighttime viewing and heat)

Then run a 10x11'' heatmat under the astroturf (will this work, and is it safe, especially as tunneling under the turf is one of her fave pastimes)

Then with my compact for UV.

I want to run my moonlight bulb but dont want 3 bloomin light fittings in the tank (main heat, UV, Moonlight)

thoughts? THe moonlight lamp can hold the temperature in the area of the tank, just doesnt put out the concerntrated heat directly below it like the ceramic emmiters or spotlights do.