May 18, 201016 yr Author comment_372158 Thanks herperjosh. I had wondered about that and have put more earthdown in the tank instead of gravel. I have also moved the tank inside (was in a conservitory) and the death rate has slowed down rapidly (fingers crossed that its stopped!) Report
May 18, 201016 yr comment_372160 I have just lost my male albino frog to impaction and suspect it has swallowed gravel or more likely too much chitin from mealworms, even though the other 20 seem to be OK. Report
May 18, 201016 yr comment_372163 Sorry to hear that Alan . Ive been experimenting on one group of frogs here (about 10-15 in that tank) and fed them mainly just mealworms from day one...Seem fine but when still small a few had lumps on their stomachs. But that has gone now and they seem fine. Im still not game enough to feed them to my albinos or beardies like i use to though :-? Frogs do seem better at digesting them as appose to beardies. But Im still not completely convinced theyre safe. p.s do an autopsy. A bit yuck to have to do, but would be interesting to see what you find in there? Report
May 19, 201016 yr comment_372197 Thanks herperjosh. I had wondered about that and have put more earthdown in the tank instead of gravel. I have also moved the tank inside (was in a conservitory) and the death rate has slowed down rapidly (fingers crossed that its stopped!) thats good hope it works Report
May 19, 201016 yr comment_372198 I thought of that after the rubbish truck left. sorry about your frog and why put it in the rubish give it a proper burial Report
May 19, 201016 yr comment_372201 The frog didn't specify that in its will sorry about your frog and why put it in the rubish give it a proper burial Report
June 19, 201016 yr Author comment_378170 Just a wee update to say that the last frog died yesterday It seems that everything I did to help them just slowed down the spread of sickness and not cure it. Does anyone have any suggestons for my 2m x 50cm tank? Report
June 19, 201016 yr comment_378183 Sorry to hear that menagerie Never nice to lose your pets like that. Also, do you mean 2m tank..as in 6ft long tank? Thats a big tank! Report
June 19, 201016 yr Author comment_378189 Yes 6ft. It has a heating element that fits the entire length of the tank so I was thinking of possibly making it into a home for a beardie one day. Report
June 19, 201016 yr comment_378201 How about a turtle! :lol: I've got one or twenty you can choose from :lol: Report
June 19, 201016 yr Author comment_378242 I actually have a proper turtle tank in the garage (that i used to keep frogs in a while ago) but it's only around 3ft (ish) Report
June 19, 201016 yr comment_378249 Ahh, then its not a 'proper' turtle tank Well, its OK for a baby but not for long Are you going to come along to the Totally Tanked mtg in CHCH on 3rd July? Meet some of the Chch fishy/reptile gang. Report
June 19, 201016 yr comment_378254 I did sent them invites ;-) You guys should totally come along, even if it's just for the first hour, to see Donna's turtles. p.s. Would you still like to adopt my froggie? Report
June 19, 201016 yr comment_378268 If that is my old tank I think you will find it is 1.2m (4ft), not 2m (6ft) I hope you are going to sterilise it well! Report
June 19, 201016 yr Author comment_378287 Caryl's right - i just measured it properly - 120cm long :oops: I would love to adopt your froggie and have the perfect wee tank for it. I have lots of Java fern growing in my fish tank if you would like to do a swap. Thanks for the invite but I wont be able to make it this time around. Let me know when the next one is though! Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.