What species is this fish??

toddy203

do you think these are a hybrid? i have looked online and the pics i have seen don't show the red outline on the fins and they usually look more sparkly. how do you tell the difference between male and female? since i have two i wonder if they are compatible to breed

That is the normal colouration, the red on the dorsal is normal. Unlikely to be a hybrid. If they are male and female they will likely breed. As for sexing, males are large and have more pointed anal fins. They have little or no blue on the gill plates while females have a good deal of blue pattern. The body of a female will have less color than a male. HTH Duncan.

i just did a few image searches and im leaning towards blue acara (maybe hybrid?). But around green terror and blue acara cichlids the speckling around the mouth appears to be more lines then spots, are these fish still to develop these lines? these fish are both about 7cm long. do these fish hybridise?

• 3 weeks later...
Whats a BGJD??

BGJD=Blue Green Jack Dempsey

They are the young of EBJD(blue Dempsey, usually male) X regular Dempsey,( usually female).

This combo is needed to breed Blue Dempsey- EBJD X BGJD = 50% Blue Dempsey

OR

BGJD X BGJD =25% blue Dempsey.

The blue green will look very much like regular JD except can have more pronounced colours like blues/purples.

Unfortunately a few have sold their extra BGJD's which could have effect on regular JD populations as the two look the same.

Just while we are on this topic, when did normal JD's start being called green?? I had never heard them called green until people started breeding EBJD's, could it be that someone simply mis-heard someone saying "blue gene JDs" and came up with the name blue-green (and there for green)? Because they don't look very green to me...

:-?

Indeed a Ponderous thought 8)

I wonder how many other new terms and words including txtisms( is that new? :wink: ) have entered into our vocabulary in recent times, and how many of those are incongruous with what they are meant to describe, yet still do.

Come to think of it my iphone looks nothing like an I or an eye. :o