do you know where to find this info?

yeah i do know about the way this has to be done, what to do and what not to do.

but i would like to know if you do get caught and charged what happens?

- Fine

- Jail time

- Community service

also if you do have a criminal conviction for theft, does it stop you from going to any countries in particular?

thanks

but i would like to know if you do get caught and charged what happens?

- Fine

- Jail time

- Community service

also if you do have a criminal conviction for theft, does it stop you from going to any countries in particular?

thanks

all this depend on the offending, if you stole a choco fish not much of a penalty will be handed down, if you de-frauded a government agency for millions then quite a few compulsory early nights are to be expected.

the entry into other countries is determined by them, canada has tough laws regarding that, where are you planning on going?

You need to give us more info.

was it petty theft?

was the theft of intellectual property, money or goods? was it more than one of them?

was it a one off?

did the crime take planning and thought?

was the crime committed over a period of time?

what is the nature of the employer? (eg. financial, retail etc).

and yes, if you received a conviction that would rule out travel to quite a few countries - definitely canada and the USA; possibly even some of the EU. The AU authorities will ask the nature of the crime, and if it is driving related they won't care, but I am unsure about the other offences. I certainly would not rule it out.

I know of someone (a kiwi who was born here to a mother who was American so she too is a US citizen) who was denied entry to the USA this year based on a minor drug conviction she got while she was in high school 20 years ago. Missed a family reunion for one relatively small offence years ago but despite an appeal the US immigration would not reconsider.

I cant really say much as all of this is coming to light, but no-one really knows much about me or my job and where i work... so....

I am the manager of where I work so I am having to deal with this - thats why I am asking for advice.

- it is stock from the store that is being theived.

- it is a retail environment.

- it has possibly been happening over a period of approx 2 years (the staff memeber has been with us for 2 years)

- I believe I have substantial evidence of who it is and the stock missing

help... I am not having much fun thinking about this, it an awful feeling that 1 of your staff members that you trust is taking from the store and making me look stupid.

If you are the manager and you have proof but do nothing you are considered guilty yourself if anyone else finds out.

From what you say the only option would be theft as a servant. It is not shoplifting as they are in a trusted position so the penalty is a lot higher.

Talk to your manager, like the regional or head of dept. or owner first.

Your company should have a legal team, and you will need to take legal advice.

You also need to KNOW that the employee in question is actually stealing, and provide evidence where needed.

I had to deal with a similar scenario when I was managing a hospital back in the states. The employee was pretending to sell items to clients but was not cashiering the cash sales and instead pocketing the cash. Inventory was going missing as well, but it was not a huge amount of money (probably a couple of thousand dollars) and there were no restricted drugs or other hazardous supplies that were missing. After consultation with the board I elected to fire the individual without pressing charges. It would have cost a lot for the legal case and we would not have gained any recompense. It was hard, I had trusted them as a valued employee for a long time...

yeah, ive had a couple of days to think about this, and it seems i have sufficent evidence, i have talk to my mum about it, and she seems to think that there is. I will be ringing my regional tomorrow (on a sunday, oh joy, she will love me!) to break the news.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

this is the 3rd place i have worked at that has had company theft...omg do i know how to pick them or what!

its also hard cos this person is a valued team member and has a high-ish position.

I had a friend (who unfortunately has since died) but was a private detective --ex sergeant in the police force, who used to spend a lot of his time dealing with this exact problem. It needs to be handled properly or your firm could end up in the industrial court for wrongful dismissal. You could consult the police and the employers federation or dept of labour for the right advice.