Temperate tank.

puttputt

If you do it properly, exactly the same level of difficulty, except cycles etc take that much longer in coldwater. There are no shortcuts in marine, same nitrogen cycles, same algae cycles etc and the likes of the jewels and sponges (and coraline) require a clean mature tank to survive.

The savings are in power (heating and lighting), suppliments (no need to dose as regular water changes will do, even calcium and alk never move - only coraline and a small amount of shell growth consume it), and of course stock is a reasonable price 8).

and its a lot of fun and the whole family can play!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a very nice tank puttputt. Is there any reason in particular you've decided to go bare bottomed?

I've keep it barebottomed during setup and cycling. Its getting there.

I have a bucket of lovely fine polished shell from Spirits bay, and the intention is to have a thin covering of it in the tank. Funny thou, the other little display tank on the system is shallow and has a good coraline growth on the glass bottom with nems etc growing on it, and i like that too.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Bit of an update.

Black angel got too bossy, started the final grey with blue spots to deep black transition and started hounding all other fish.

So reluctantly sent him off to Living art and a bigger "rouge" type tank. Unfortunately fastway couriers decided to leave him in

Auckland for an extra day, and of course he arrive deceased :dead%fish . No come back, nothing - never know a profession with so little accountability as couriers.

Anyway, tanks looking great and well mature, collected some nice jewels and a few fish on Sunday, including a tiny wrasse, that i'm hoping wont be spottie, looks different, maybe a scarlett wrasse, or it may just develop a spot on its side :evil:

no no no, with cold tanks, your water down south is colder and has more nutrients. jewels, sea squirts, nems etc all do much better down your way. Some stunning filter feeder types in the south. Fish, yes, we get a few subtropical types, but you have other very nice fish as well.