Lining half barrels for a pond

BigBossPants

I have 3 half wine barrels which I have converted into a pond/water feature. I have lined them with polythene but water is leeching in through the wood and sitting between that and the lining, causing it to rot a little. I want to line them with something which will adhere directly to the wood so this doesnt happen...

I have been recommended fiberglass and a spray on silicone type thing. Would these be safe or is there a better alternative? The barrels do not hold water without a lining. There are 2 fish and an axy in the pond

I don't think the polythene will be "leeching". More likely there is a hole somewhere or perhaps water splashed over the top of the lining if it isn't high enough (or rain?). I can't see why fibreglass wouldn't work. It would be safe enough since they make fish ponds out of it.

• 1 month later...

I have half wine barrel which has a waterlily and many goldies in it. It isnt lined with anything, but I left it for two weeks submerged in a trough (farm water trough) to expand and become water tight. Have had it up and running for two years now with no problems.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, good idea with the water trough. I don't really have access to one but will keep it in mind for next time :)

I have had success so far with silicone for the gaps and coating the rest with bitumen paint. Both barrels are holding rainwater out in the garden, seem watertight so far. Time will tell if they stay this way though!