March 5, 201016 yr comment_359059 I used to have them! still love them and are on my "maybe" list. V. easy to get as well. Report
March 5, 201016 yr Author comment_359060 Cool They're nice looking fish. Theres also 2 different kinds I think, not sure wht the differences are. Want a few of these coz I cant have paroon sharks Report
March 5, 201016 yr comment_359070 Theres also 2 different kinds I think, not sure wht the differences are. Nope only Pimelodus pictus Report
March 5, 201016 yr Author comment_359076 I thought there was columbian and peruvian, one has fewer and larger spots then the other. Report
March 5, 201016 yr comment_359082 Yip Nymox your right, just checked on Planetcatfish.com. There are two colour forms. I used to have a couple, great fish. Can be a bit pricey tho, usually bout $60+ Report
March 5, 201016 yr comment_359083 same species im sure, but different strains. a pictus is a pictus. Report
March 5, 201016 yr comment_359087 Bobo has my old one. hope its doing well. You just have to be careful when netting them. their barbs get caught 50% of the time. Report
March 5, 201016 yr Author comment_359094 Theres a pic some where on the web with ones spine that had been ripped off in a net, poor thing. Hopefully I can and get myself some when my big tank is up and running. The one with fewer but larger spots looks a lil nicer, but would be happy with either. Leiarius pictus looks neat too, more pleco like. We get these here also? Report
March 5, 201016 yr comment_359101 Bobo has my old one. hope its doing well. You just have to be careful when netting them. their barbs get caught 50% of the time. And they make an nails on a chalkboard ZZZZTTTT noise when you try to get them unstuck. Report
March 5, 201016 yr comment_359104 I thought there was columbian and peruvian, one has fewer and larger spots then the other. True, I thought you may have been thinking of the ornate pim which is a different species of the same genus. The varieties you mention are simply different local populations, not even valid subspecies. Report
March 5, 201016 yr Author comment_359127 Thats more or less what I mean, I should have worded it different but I get that alot.. I havnt seen these in any of the lfs so will likely have to order them, just wondering what I should be asking for if I prefer the one with larger spots. Report
March 5, 201016 yr comment_359134 you don't get a choice really. you just get a pictus. so far they have all looked the same to me. Report
March 5, 201016 yr Author comment_359136 Cool, Lets hope lady luck comes through for me then. Thanks for the help team. Report
March 5, 201016 yr comment_359138 They do enjoy being in groups. Hard on the pocket but good for the fish and the spectacle the group make in your tank. Report
March 5, 201016 yr comment_359236 I have two, want more. They are just awesome. If your tank is big enough for them to zoom around in then definitely get some, as many as you can afford. Mine are always on the go, and go mental for food, I feed them sinking cichlid gold pellets and they seem to be doing great. When annoyed they make a sound like a teensie little sewing machine and if you're holding them at the time you can feel the vibration. ( :roll: and sometimes they do it in the middle of the night just to make you wake up and think what on earth was that?! ) Be careful when netting them, their spines get caught, also their pectoral and dorsal fins are pretty sharp, be careful if holding them Report
March 6, 201016 yr comment_359290 I found catching them in a jug of some sort was good, If you can that is. Stops that risk of getting their fins caught. That goes for any decent size catfish. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.