help help help

xxdarnixx

:cry: ok ive bred some lovely blondes and my tanks have been healthy for ages now suddenly out of a tank of about 50+ fish 3 of my 7 blondes have died!!! and some others are showing symptoms,im so gutted as i was just getting some beautifull fish.

here are symptoms : partial paralysis,it seems as if the lower end gets affected

slightly redened gills

breathing faster

some seem to float and are unable to right themselves

die after 24 hours of starting symptoms :cry:

also seems to be attacking my blondes!!!!

ph is fine

just checking the rest now but has been fine for the last week as ive done constant checks after the first two died

going to pet shop tommorow to see what they say

Hard to say, my first thoughts are toxins and/or lack of O2 but the acute onset and locomotor difficulties more likely suggest toxic fungi or bacterial sepsis. If it is something like columnaris bacteria, the treatment is SMZ-TMP (sulfa trimeth antibiotics). It is common, cheap and effective but you will need a prescription for it.

In the mean time, I would rescue these fish by putting them in some clean, well oxygenated, warm water with an added antiseptic like acriflavine, Melafix or just salt if you have nothing else. Quick action and good supportive care can make all the difference sometimes.

thanks,im setting up a hospital tank now will leave it to warm up and then add them,ive added salt (aquarium salt) untill i can get to the pet store tommorow

willl take some water samples down too to see if they can find anything i have missed

Iodised salt is fine.

The amounts aquarists use work out to part of a part per million.

The toxicity of iodine on fish is unknown, so there is no scientific backing for not using it.

Iodide is used as a disinfectant for trout eggs at a rate of 100ppm.

Uniodised sea salt is naturally 0.2ppm.

I would think a bigger concern would be the grain size of 'aquarium salt' meaning that 1tsp of that weighs less that 1tsp of normal salt.

Long but compulsory article on the uses and myths of salt in the aquarium:

http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/docs/health/salt.shtml

Sorry about your disease, Darni. I have seen fish go like that before and have no idea why. I have generally suspected to to be a massive stress thing, who who knows :(

ive found the culprit!!! went down to the petshop today to get meds and she said there have been heaps of aquriam owners comming in with fish showing 1st paralysis then dying and it is caused by phospherous,im kicking myself because i had the same prob this time last year and got it treated but this time symptoms where slightly different and so thought it was something else.

i have now treated the tank with phospherous remover and so far the fish that have been affected are looking good

i did lose my huuuuuuuuggggeeee blonde girl tho :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

As I said before, I would not be surprised if it were a toxin due to the acute onset of symptoms and the fact that multiple fish were affected but I question the phosphorus theory. Phosphorus comes in many forms but the type found in tanks (due to decomposing organic matter and such) is not toxic to fish even at pretty high levels - of course anything is toxic at a high enough level but if that much phosphorus is in your water I would think there would be a public health alert. Of course there could be fertiliser run off, were they referring to organophosphate poisoning? If so, the aquarium phosphate absorbers will not work well if at all. It might be worth searching out a better water source.

Anyway, I am glad your fish are doing better. :wink: