Shall I try this?

Jennifer

I have always been interested in having a saltwater/reef tank but the more I learn about it, the more I feel I don't know enough to try. However, I am thinking about giving it a go - just for some corals and maybe a couple of fish. Just in the thinking/dreaming stage at the moment but would something like this be a suitable place to start for a basic setup? viewtopic.php?f=24&t=44225

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At $3800 you will be diving right into it. but then once you get started you will sell the tank and get a normal tank and separate components. that will cost you closer to the $4000 mark and then youll be happy with what you have until you figure you could just get a tank that is slightly larger, few more corals..... :lol:

just post your questions here and we can give advice. The red sea max tanks are nice all in one units but can be a bit limiting in the long run as you don't have the ability to upgrade parts easily. YOur most important pieces of kit for a marine tank are your lighting and skimmer and ensuring you have enough flow in the tank. What type of livestock are you looking to keep? fish only, full reef? softies and fish? these questions will determine what type of skimming/lighting etc that you need.

:hail: oh thanks. :D

I guess it would help if I figured out some suitable beginner livestock before I get a tank/equipment. I was thinking of starting with some corals and a couple of fish that would be suitable. Not sure what type of corals but hopefully something that can withstand some trial and error on my part. I was thinking of something structural (I like a nice aquascape) and from what I understand, I can get a framework up and put some frags on it.

Do I aim to get some live rock for all or part of the structure? Is there an easy type of coral that I should aim for? Will that dictate the type of fish I eventually get - some graze on corals right?

The non coral friendly fish are usually the ones that grow quite big for a tank such as a RedSea.

I gave a book to Loopy about corals (but it may be resident at Wilson's place) ask around to see if you can borrow it, it's by Eric Bourneman.

I also have a couple of books you can borrow as long as you promise to give them back - one on setups by Bob Fenner and one on fish by Scott Michael. I can give them to Caryl to take down your way if you like, let me know before Sunday.

Reverse osmosis removed hardness right? Is that so necessary if your water is not too hard to begin with?

Nope. It takes the water back to its purest form I think. Removes impurities which cause algae outbreaks. It's a must have apparently :(

Reverse osmosis removes teh dissolved solids out of your tap water. They are not essential, i know reefers here in chch who don't use RO water for their reef tanks. My spare tank in the garage which has mainly soft corals and fish just has plain tap water, but i purify my water for my main tank which is where i keep my more sensitive corals.

In terms of corals you would probably want to start out with some easier ones like some leathers and mushrooms and once they are growing well then look at branching out to hard corals SPS and LPS. These are more sensitive to water quality and require a bit more care (eg monitoring your mag, calcium and kH levels and dosing additives as required).

In terms of the beginning your setup you'll either need to buy some dead rock and cure it which usually takes around 4 - 6 weeks, or you'll need to find someone selling live rock and use that. Benefit with live rock is you can start adding small fish etc immediately as the bacteria are still live. You still need to take care that you don't stock too quickly as there is likely to be some dieoff of bacteria during the time you get it and the time you put it in the tank.

With regards to fish, you need to take care with what you select and the order you put the fish in. Some of the small hardy fish that beginners often choose aren't actually the best fish to go with (ie damsels, tomato clowns) as they can become the dominant fish in the tank. Small percula or ocellaris clowns are pretty good starter fish and they don't need an anenome to live in, in fact i wouldn't recommend getting one for at least 6 months to a year after your tank is setup

Reverse osmosis removes teh dissolved solids out of your tap water. They are not essential, i know reefers here in chch who don't use RO water for their reef tanks. My spare tank in the garage which has mainly soft corals and fish just has plain tap water, but i purify my water for my main tank which is where i keep my more sensitive corals.

This may be the case for your type of water, but up here the tapwater is high in phosphates, so RO water is a must.

Oh, this is great news and sounds very doable. :D I could easily go a couple of percula clowns but I might want to work up to them with some corals first to be sure I have ironed out any issues with water stability.

So, say I eventually plan to have a reef tank, and I start with a couple of small soft corals.... I am imagining my tank will look pretty boring for some time with just a couple of lumps in it. I know I need some live rock but how much is appropriate/too much? I really want to provide a lot of structural interest points but I am thinking this will involve some sterile coral framework (not sure if that is the correct terminology) that I can attach the frags with? Is that ok, or should I just keep it really simple at first?

So I am thinking I will get an RO purifier, skimmer, a couple of pumps to provide water movement, lights (MH I presume), heater and I will need a sump to put all that in. I am guessing that these corals will do ok with photosynthesis so I don't need to dose with anything to start with right? If/when I get into some other types of corals, do I need to plan ahead for this in terms of my equipment? Also, I have no idea what to look for in terms of equipment - is there an up to date guide for such things?

Is this suitable for a beginner? Is it too good to be true for the money?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Pe ... 666743.htm

I am only half considering this - I think it is probably too soon for me. I have waited 10 years for saltwater so I don't want to rush into it and find that I have a bunch of stuff I don't like.

The tank is awfully small at 50 litres - ours is 108 with no sump and I think stability wise it is a nightmare, if it were not in our basement temperatures would be a problem and it would require a chiller.

The tank is too small for the Blue Tang - they grow to 300mm

They give no brand names for the equipment, I would not stray from Deltec and Tunze as far as skimmers and streams go, but that is my biased opinion :wink: