How to have a brackish tank?

Mel

I have been offered some figure 8 puffers, but i had no idea at all about how to start a brackish tank. So want to find out first and also what kinds of food these puffers eat?

Can i just use normal salt? or does it have to be a special salt

i haven't decided to take the puffers on yet and not sure if I want to, really depends on how hard they are to keep.

I have been offered 3 fig 8 puffers from a palmy local that can no longer care for them.

I have been ringing around and it seems that Instant Ocean salt is ALOT cheaper than red sea salt - is there a reason for it being so cheap? any good?

I have been offered 3 fig 8 puffers from a palmy local that can no longer care for them.

I have been ringing around and it seems that Instant Ocean salt is ALOT cheaper than red sea salt - is there a reason for it being so cheap? any good?

I think instant ocean has a better reputation than red sea.

before you go put salt in your tank :-? check and see how salty if at all the tanks at the shop where they are coming from is no use geting it to 1.008 then finding out they were in freshwater the hard way

A lot of juvenile brackish fish start in freshwater I believe, monos are a prime example, they dont need salt until they mature, so would probably be sold from fw tanks. Not sure about other species though

I got them last night - the person i got them from has had them in brackish for the last 3 or so years and she gave me a hydrometer she has had them at 1.010 - so that is what i have the tank at now.

When we picked them up last night we collected as much water from there old tank as possible and she gave me a bag of the red sea salt.

The tank i have them in now has a HUGE trumpet snail problem so they are busy eatting them all :D will the trumpet snails survive in brackish water?

Ok really silly question i know, But ... do they need alot of oxygen in the water?

i had a airstone going in there but have taken it out, i am alittle worried the airstone might make them take in air and puff up?

I have just got the spraybar of the filter just above the surface creating movement

It's a misconception that makes very little sense if you think about it. 1. Where would the air come from when surrounded by nothing but water? 2. What would happen to the fish if it suddenly became full of air? It would shoot to the surface at about 100mph and then bob around like a buoy. :)

• 2 weeks later...

afew years ago the lfs had a GSP and it was so cute i think much cuter than the fg8's - I so want one, will they live with fg8's?

Well my 3 little cuties are doing really well, alot fatter now and seem alot happier to. I noticed when i first got them there tummies were very odd, you could see the inside bits - almost like how you can see a really skinny persons bones sticking out. But they're not like that now and they love raw prawns it's amusing watching them play tug of war with a piece of prawn.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I'm also interested in brackish water.

Here's a list of plants that could grow in it :

Anubias sp (particularly A. barteri and A. congensis)

Bacopa monnieri

Cabomba

Ceratophyllum demersum

Ceratopteris cornuta

Crinum thaianum (not more than 1005)

Crinum calamistratum, pedunculatum

Cryptocoryne ciliata

Cryptocoryne wendtii (not more than 1005)

Echinodorus tenellus (even with strong density)

Eichhornia crassipes

Eleocharis acicularis

Elodea

Hygrophyla spp (un pH alcalin favorise les carences en fer, donc les chloroses)

Lilaeopsis brasiliensis (not more than 1005, lot of light, rich soil)

Microsorium pteropus,

Myriophyllum spp

Pistia stratiotes

Potamogeton crispus, perfoliatus,

Ranunculus limosella

Sagittaria platiphylla

Sagittaria subulata

Vallisneria americana, asiatica, gigantea (not more than 1005, but they don't grow very much)

Vesicularia dubyana.

Acclimatization to salt must be very progressive.

Hope it can helps you :)