I bought a fan to cool my tanks today...

Ira

Come on Ira, you live in Upper Hutt, wheres the heat coming from? It certainly aint the weather.

Where have you been? It's been boiling the last week.

That fan is going to be set up to suck air from outside and pump it into the house. I figure if a turnover rate of 3-5X per hour is good enough for a fish tank, a 750 cubic meter/hour fan should give my house enough turnover.:)

I have the fan semi installed. I think I just about got heatstroke crawling around in the roofspace. Must have been at least 40° up there. It's wired up and ducted to blow air into the house, I haven't gotten external grill for the intake though, yet. So it's just blowing skunky nasty roofspace air into the house like those garbage HRV systems.

It's much quieter than I was afraid it would be.:)

I hear they actually make really good pets once they're descented.

*gag* who'd want THAT job?

We did surgery on a ferret once to remove its scent glands - imagine two glands on either side of an anus that is hardly bigger than a rat's...then imagine how close you have to get in order to see such tiny glands....then imagine a hideous musky, faecally, sickly sweet smell that you can't get out of your nose for a week (especially if you happen to pop the gland when you are removing it). Not pretty, not pretty at all.

i was considering of pinching the mrs's dehumidifier and say its broken then use it to make a chiller. Am i wastin my time? and is a fan better?

Definitely worth trying the fan first, breaking a dehumidifier which will only do an average job at best when you could spend just a little more and get a second hand chiller seems a waste to me. A $10 warehouse desk fan blowing across the water surface will drop the temperature by 2-3 degrees