CLOSE UP 85% in favour to Farm Native Birds

dat1

Hi all, I was one to vote for farming Native birds and I think the guy down south has a valid point. Whats your thawts on this topic. We have companies breeding and farming Koura, Paua, Mussels, Oysters and Eel why not our birds? On close up Monday? evening they did a quick poll and as the results tell it was a clear 85% Yes and 15% No to farming our Native Fauna.

Cheers

It's a very convincing argument. Give people the financial incentive to breed these birds and there will be more of them in the country. Just as simple as that. How successful would an average farmer be at successfully raising Kiwi chicks? Who knows - and who is willing to take the risk of giving him a pair to start with?

they are still operating

once the first batch reach saleable size then each year it rolls on

Yeah. Obviously lol

What I read was that it takes 3 years to get them to the right size and it was costing too much in the 3 years so it wasn't worth doing.. Clearwater for example I'm sure have shut down.

Anywho when I went to order some for a Restaurant when I was the Head Chef I couldn't find them and even if I could I remember them being $60 a kilo :o

Most importantly - as far a Wekas are concerned - what do they taste like?

One of my students who did a stint in the Chathams said they were 'an acquired taste' if not foul to eat...

Oh I heard they tasted good apparently?

My thoughts on this would be what would they be farmed for?

Apart from Kereru I don't think any of our native birds taste good so who will be paying the farmers?

Unless maybe they started making fashion items from feathers? lol

Or bred for the pet trade.

I'll never understand why you can buy Kakariki's overseas and they even come in different colour variations and here you need a permit...

not just a food source

if our birds werre bred in captivity, close ringed, DNAed

then sold overseas revenue could be brought back in to sopport release to the wild and predator trapping

% for release to wild

% of money to registered breeders

% to support conservation work

making our birds and reps available overseas will help cut down the smuggling trade

not just a food source

if our birds werre bred in captivity, close ringed, DNAed

then sold overseas revenue could be brought back in to sopport release to the wild and predator trapping

% for release to wild

% of money to registered breeders

% to support conservation work

making our birds and reps available overseas will help cut down the smuggling trade

Available overseas as pets?

"Kubus was caught by wildlife officials at Christchurch International Airport on South Island in December, about to board an overseas flight with 44 geckos and skinks in a hand-sewn package concealed in his underwear.

"

"The geckos may have been worth 2000 euros ($2,800) each on the European market, he noted."

that's about the guy that was caught in chch trying to smuggle native lizards, theres even an overseas forum for them somewhere :lol:

he was mocking me actually :wink: lol

The lizards at the christchurch airport are now at Orana park. They were labeled with the general location they came from (such as cromwell) but there are many locations with different types in Cromwell so they can't release them. This is the same with all of them I think. It is likely they will end up in zoos or put down. By the number of trips he has made her over the last few years he is a regular Freddie Angel and they should have thrown away the key